MBP interaction with microphone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by afellowlinguist, May 29, 2011.

1. afellowlinguist macrumors newbie

Hey Macrumors,

I have a Spring 2010 15" i7 MBP that I've used for a little more than a year. I've recently begun using it to do some light gaming, and am having trouble getting a mic to work with it. I've tried using a few different mic/earphone combos, and while the earphones have worked with each of them, the mic has not.

For example, one of the mics that I have at home is a Razer Moray+. They're just a pair of earbuds with an inline microphone. I plug this pair of earbuds into the audio line out port, and while the earbuds work, the inline microphone doesn't.

[​IMG]

I've also tried using one of these cheap Logitech mics, which I specifically purchased for the purpose. I plug the mic into the audio line in port (the one directly on top of the outlet I plug my earbuds into), but the mic doesn't work either.

[​IMG]

I know that these mics aren't broken, as they've worked fine on a few of the PC computers I have scattered around the house.

I've tried to do some searching on the subject myself, but haven't been able to find any conclusive explanation for why the mics don't pick up any sound. I want to invest in a higher quality gaming headset (that will often double as a headset for Skype), but aren't sure what will and will not be compatible with my MBP. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I believe that your problem lies in the fact that it is a line in, and not a microphone in, which means it is an unamplified port. I can't tell you more without speculating though.

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

My iPhone ear buds with the inline mic work just fine in my audio out port on my MBP.

4. afellowlinguist thread starter macrumors newbie

Any further comment on this? Help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Like snaky pointed out, I believe that this has to do with it being an audio line in jack rather than a microphone in.

The question I have is whether or not an inline microphone (such as that of the Razer Carcharias) will function when plugged into the audio out jack.