MBP intermittent screen glitch issue on restart *pics*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by landonjfolz, Apr 7, 2007.

1. landonjfolz macrumors newbie

I have a 1.83 MBP, with 1.5 gigs of RAM (stock 512 + additional crucial 1gb) 80 gig HD. Pretty standard.

My issue is that once in a while when I restart my machine, bootup is really slow and then I get a weird screen glitch. Often I won't get a full re-boot but will get a half appearing dock and no desktop icons. Sometimes it will have lots of grainy lines across it. Sometimes I will get the beach ball for extended times and it will just freeze there. Basically I keep restarting it, and eventually it goes away and boots up normal.

The thing is I can't really replicate the problem. It just happens at random. Sometimes it happens after I have a system crash, and I need to restart, and sometimes it happens just after a system update restart.

Like I said, it doesn't happen that often, but when it does it kind of freaks me out. I've had the logic board replaced in the past to eliminate the "whinning" (which, thankfully is now gone) and I wonder if this is another logic board problem. Other than that the computer has been great. And upon the complementary Applecare expiring pretty soon, I wonder if I should take it in for a repair or just not worry about it. It's kind of hard to take it in if I can't really show them the problem.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or ideas?

Attached Files:

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Did you change your RAM recently? That could be the problem with the whole boot up problem.

3. landonjfolz thread starter macrumors newbie

I instaled the RAM when I first got the computer. I have wondered if maybe I should remove the RAM and re-seat it.

4. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

That would be a good start. Other then that, it could just be another logic board problem.

EDIT:Or maybe a problem with your GPU?

5. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

I would say it was GPU due to the screen glitching but that wouldn't explain slow boot times. I'd suggest that it's a logic board problem and you should go to an Apple Store and keep rebooting to see if you can get the glitch to appear.

It's not a foolproof plan but I'd give it a go.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you can, you could try posting this on the apple support forums (Geniuses discredit any non-official apple forum, even this one) and link to the pictures.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Looks like a GPU issue to me, almost 100% certain. Take your machine back to Apple, they should be able to repair/replace it for you =]

8. landonjfolz thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks.

I just did a test, and after about (5) restart/shut downs I get the same wacky symptoms.

I did this test with the crucial RAM in, and without it. Both times I still got the glitch.

So I'll take it in to the apple store tomorrow and see what they can do about it.

What is the GPU? Is that the graphics card?

9. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Yup, GPU is your graphics card. If Apple will fix it for you it shouldn't be a large job, they may even do it for you on site.

10. zign macrumors 6502

zign

11. landonjfolz thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't run a hardware test. I don't even know how to do that. I'll look into it now.

12. zign macrumors 6502

zign

13. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

I had the exact same problem with my PowerBook G4. It normally happened when i pulled the powercord out or plugged it in. I was told it was my Logic Board... I was inclined to think it was my GPU. Anyway... Good Luck. Make sure you show them those pictures. And if you don't get any help just send an email to steve@apple.com. I did. Actually I think I sent around 14.

Brad

14. landonjfolz thread starter macrumors newbie

So I took the MBP into an Apple Store today. The Genius deduced that since there are a bunch of weird lines around my cursor (*see pic #2) and they follow the cursor when it moves that it is a logic board issue.

He said he was certain that it wasn't a GPU issue. As I mentioned earlier I have already had my logic board fixed once before, to remove the whine. I hope when it comes back it'll be all good and fixed, with no whine. One can hope...

He mentioned that it could possibly have been a loose screen connector 'causing the problem, but then figured, no, it's probably not.

So the part is on order. Let's hope it works out. I'm banking on getting this fixed and then living with whatever else happens, since I can't afford to get Applecare right now. This is the lats month of complementary support.

On an unrelated note, I saw a guy today who hauled in his entire iMac (boxes, machine and all) because he thought the customer support rep told him to bring it in to the apple store to get them to help him set-up his .mac. Unbelievable!

15. landonjfolz thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my computer back from the Mac Store, and it apprears to be great. Haven't seen the problem yet or been able to replicate it.

And the new Logic Board is nice and quiet still, so I'm happy about that.

So hopefully all is fixed.

16. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Just to mention, the GPU is completely integrated on the logic board, so whatever the problem was it will be gone for good now.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It looks like a GPU problem to me. It might need to be replaced :(

Edit: Just noticed the OPs post a few above mine. Perhaps it was a GPU issue but because it isn't removable the whole Logic Board needed to be replaced. Whatev, you got a nice computer on your hands :)

18. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

I know that this is an old post but...

Okay, that's what I thought!
    I seem to be having some glitches occurring on my screen. I'm worried because I don't have Applecare anymore, and I hear that replacing the motherboard (same as logic board, correct?) is a really expensive job. Better to just get a new machine...
    Any opinions and or comments?

BTW, I'm running on an iMac Intel Core Duo, 128 VRAM, ATI Radeon 1600.

I can post some pictures, if you guys want.

19. Pr0grammer macrumors newbie

The logic board is just a different name for the motherboard. And yes, if it needs to be replaced out of warranty it's almost always better to just replace the entire computer and sell the old one for parts.

Given the age of your computer, if it turns out that the logic board needs replacement, I'd recommend to get a new computer.

20. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

From what I have seen there are a lot of problems with those imacs. GPU issues. I see that this has helped some people: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/inde...e280a5026dc7eb5d41894117b1&topic=30575.0;wap2

21. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Thank you for the info, Pr0grammer. It's what I thought.
    Do you have any idea what the cost of something like that might be?
    Being that my current economic situation is dire, I'd rather be sure of how much something like that might cost before ordering a new machine...

edit. what is the possibility of it being a software glitch instead? would you guys like to see pics?

22. Pr0grammer macrumors newbie

A new logic board for your computer would run about $400. Pictures would definitely help, but it sounds like it's probably a hardware issue.

A new Mac Mini for $600 would perform much better than your current iMac, and a new iMac (even the base configuration) would be much better than the Mac Mini. (A friend of mine upgraded from a G4 Mac Mini to a new iMac recently and it's literally an order of magnitude faster, probably way more.) If you looked at used or refurbished computers you could probably get a much better deal than the standard prices.

23. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

okay, so $400 but what about labor?

24. Pr0grammer macrumors newbie

Labor would be extra, I'm not sure how much though. Probably at least $100 or so. If you're not comfortable installing it yourself I'd definitely replace the computer instead of trying to get it fixed, it just won't be worth it.

It might be a good idea to take it to a Genius Bar, they'll be able to give you a better diagnosis than anyone can over the internet and they'll be able to give you better cost estimates too.

25. penter macrumors 6502a

penter