MBP Internal 200GB 5400 RPM vs FW800 External

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zepharus, Apr 11, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

My question is this.. I am considering buying the G-tech 500GB Quad External drive. If i use this for Time Machine backup as well as a Storage for possible and OS, games etc and a scratch disk for Video Editing, Will this offer noticeable better performance than the internal 200GB 5400 RPMer ?

thoughts....

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The new 5400 drives are significantly better then they were a year ago. There speeds are comparable to the 7200 in many test and better in a few. Of course this depends on the drive. Unfortunately the buss speed across the FW 800 port is going to be the biggest limiting factor. Are you going to see a difference... probably hardly any with time machine thats worth anything.

If you want a great drive for scratch and video editing go with the FW800 Lacie Big Disk Extreme Raid 0. Lacie makes some of the best external drives out there. I take mine on the road a lot with all the traveling I do and it has been incredibly reliable, no problems.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Considering the price you are paying and the capacity you will need for you stated uses, I'd say the FW drive is more benefitial. Personally I think my FW800 is no as fast as my internal, but it's very fast for everything I do nonetheless.