Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vetruvian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
Just a heads up for anyone interested. I just purchased a Panasonic UJ267 from the ebay user virtanen13 for $199.99 with free shipping. This drive typically goes for about $300. It is an internal bluray/DVD reader/writer that replaces the slot-loading Macbook Superdrive.I offered 199.99 using "best offer" and it was instantly accepted. I didn't think it would be accepted lol. Wish I had started lower! Can't wait to drop this thing into my MBP. If interested just search for "UJ267" on ebay.

Also, according to most of the research I have done, with a decent amount of know-how the installation if fairly easy. And with a few apps, you can achieve full Mac compatibility.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Just a heads up for anyone interested. I just purchased a Panasonic UJ267 from the ebay user virtanen13 for $199.99 with free shipping. This drive typically goes for about $300. It is an internal bluray/DVD reader/writer that replaces the slot-loading Macbook Superdrive.I offered 199.99 using "best offer" and it was instantly accepted. I didn't think it would be accepted lol. Wish I had started lower! Can't wait to drop this thing into my MBP. If interested just search for "UJ267" on ebay.

Also, according to most of the research I have done, with a decent amount of know-how the installation if fairly easy. And with a few apps, you can achieve full Mac compatibility.
I look forward to your review after you install it! If it works, I'll certainly replace the Superdrive in my 13" MBP.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

Interesting, how easy is the instal on this? I'm thinking of doing that too.

vetruvian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2013
Interesting, how easy is the instal on this? I'm thinking of doing that too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipx0pPXagps

The above video most accurately portrays the installation. I have read a few other sources in forums that describe an identical process. And ifixit has a decent guide on replacing the optical drive. Also, from what I have read, all you need is a Mac Blu-ray playing software (Blu-ray Player currently included in the StackSocial name your own price deal) and a burning software like Roxio Toast 11.

StackSocial Software Package:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-name-your-own-price-mac-bundle-2-0

----------

I look forward to your review after you install it! If it works, I'll certainly replace the Superdrive in my 13" MBP.

I'll make sure to update this thread once I install it. Don't hold your breath though because the item is being shipped from Taiwan and isn't expected for about two weeks...

aratuk

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
This is the same model sold at Other World Computing (for $300), which indicates that it is compatible with many MBP models. So it very much should work.

It looks like I've found this thread about two weeks after it was started, so you should be getting the drive soon. Hope you remember to update! This sounds like a really good deal.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I also want to do this. I have a lot of blu rays and my PS3 just broke so I'm stuck. I'd prefer to be able to watch them on the go anyways so this would be great. Def keep it updated man.

e30cabrio

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2012
I know this is an old thread but I just installed one of these in my Mid 2009 MBP. It is seen by system report but not in finder. I got a disk to stay in but then had to find the terminal command to get it out as I had no eject button. Do I need a kext or is it more likely a bad drive? I got it on Amazon and have sent a message to the seller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.