MBP internet connected but won't work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Dec 5, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Recently, after installing the new AEBS sometimes the internet on the MBP just stops, airport says it's connected and shows 3-4 signal strength.
    It works for about 15 seconds and then stops, if I turn airport off and then back on it's working again, but stops shortly after.

I've found when playing warcraft 3 on LAN with the MBP in the bedroom, that it lags a bit, and shows the "disconnect" player dialog/button.

I opened Airport Utility on the MBP, clicked Manual Setup and it's timed out after a while and says "An error occurred while reading the configuration, make sure your Airport wireless device is plugged in and in range of your computer or connected via ethernet and try again (-6722)".
    It's only about 3 metres away from the AEBS (I shut it down and turned it back on also) and my dads Mac is about half a metre away from it, mines plugged in via ethernet, pretty sure dads other Mac in the studio (iMac) works just fine too.

I did boot it up about 1hr 20m's ago and it was working, buffered a TV show online to 24 minutes, I unplugged it and took it down to the bedroom and I started watching it and then the show stopped and said Buffering 43% but didn't change, it's currently back near the AEBS plugged in.
    It just seems to be the MBP, does anyone have any idea's? just let me know if there is any more information I can provide. Thanks.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I hate when that happens. I don't know the cause, but usually a restart rectifies the problem. I'd like to know of a better solution, though.

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I'm having similar problems with both an Express and an Extreme - went to the Apple Store yesterday who were no help at all.

I've moved the Extreme away from my TV etc. in case of interference and did a full reset - seems to be ok so far...

I'm keeping an eye on the link speed in Network Utility which is stable at 300Mbps - yours?

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I might check the link speed later, for the moment I've tethered my dads iPhone to the MBP and it's working fast and well.
    EDIT: I did do a restart, a very quick one and it was still having the problem.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I once had similar symptoms. It was apparently caused by interference with a nearby wifi router. Changing the router's wireless channel did the trick. I picked a channel no other detectable routers were using.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I see, at one point I noticed when clicking the wireless icon in the menu and leaving the context menu open I saw the text "Airport: On" switching to "Airport: Trying to find networks" and back again really fast, it's like a blink.
    What channel is safe to change to, mines set to automatic (6), do I also have to change the channel for the wireless N frequency? the MBP only has a wireless G card so I don't think I do.

7. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I have another odd thing where it will only 'see' my network, but not connect to it.

8. GodInMyOwnRight macrumors newbie

I've had that problem many times trying to log onto my University's Library WiFi. I do not know why this works but what I did was create my own local network then delete that network and rejoin the university's WiFi. Again, I have no clue why this works but it worked for me and a couple of people I know.