MBP Internet Sharing to router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nomar383, Apr 7, 2008.

1. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Here is what I want:

Room 1
    Internet--->Wireless B Router---->((wireless))

Room 2
    ((wireless))--->MBP--->Wireless G Router--->Wired to Xbox 360, Powermac, and Printer

Basically Room 1 is operational already, but I want to implement this room 2 scenario. I need my MBP to pick up the wireless internet from the other room and distribute it via ethernet to the 2nd router, then from the router to 3 other devices. Are there any special cables I need? Will this even work? Please don't suggest I just move the modem from Room 1 because I already know that would solve my problems lol, it has to stay where it is.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to set up bridging between the two routers or else I would have just done that. The problem is they are 4 years apart and from two separate companies.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What you should do is Wireless router B to wireless router G. Use WDS to get the bridge between those two routers. Its not too tough.

Otherwise to do as you described in your post connect your MBP to the router B, then open Sys Prefs>SHaring>Internet Sharing> From:Airport to: ethernet. You'll just need a regular ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port on your Router G and then plug your other devices in. Pretty easy to do.

I do recommend doing my recommendation above though (WDS), most elegant solution.

3. nomar383 thread starter macrumors 65816

nomar383

I really want to do the WDS option, can you explain any more about it?

The wireless B router is a Linksys and the Wireless G is a Belkin, the Belkin has an option for bridging, but the wireless B does not, and I even updated the firmware on it to no avail.