MBP internet slowing to a crawl...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zebceponaf, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Zebceponaf macrumors newbie

Had my MBP for about 6 weeks now and everything has been working great. Recently though, my internet connection at home has slowed to a crawl.

Works fine at work.
    PC works fine at home
    MPB wireless and ethernet both are snail speed at home.

What's the deal here? I'm trying to narrow down what could be behind this sudden drop in connection speed. Any help much appreciated.

2. Zebceponaf thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

unplug all your wireless kit. reset your MBP's wireless settings, clear cookies, all that jazz

4. Browzilla macrumors member

Curiously enough, the same thing has happened to my home network.
    The problem is consistent across all the computers in the house (3 XP laptops, a MBP, and a Core2Duo iMac). Curiously enough, the phones, which are VoIP, work flawlessly. I also have a Wii connected, but haven' tried that online recently.

I'm curious, who's your provider? Happen to be Charter?

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Yes do that. Also turn off your PC and any other devices that might be connected to your router, then create a fresh account on your Mac and test the speed from there.

Good luck
    SL

6. Zebceponaf thread starter macrumors newbie

first thing I tried. Power cycled everything. Cleared all settings. Deleted my homenetwork from MBP and rejoined it. Still nothing.

Why would wifi work for pcs fine but not Mac?
    Whats odd is that a couple websites that I frequent (forums)(digg) load fine, but everything else just hangs and never loads.

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Earlier on you said that you get the same problem when connecting via Ethernet. If this is true, then the wifi is not the problem. To test the Ethernet properly, make sure Airport is switched OFF on your MBP.

SL

EDIT: Had similar problem once. Turned out the problem was an IP address conflict on my network. Can't remember the exact details, but two of my machines were both insisting on having the same IP address. Dunno if that helps you.

8. Justin Lee macrumors member

9. Zebceponaf thread starter macrumors newbie

yep, ethernet is not working, airport off.

I'm suspecting some sort of IP/DNS issues, but have no idea how to go about fixing this and resolving it. I'm a noob with networking!

10. Zebceponaf thread starter macrumors newbie

just got off the phone with Dlink tech support. They said it's a DNS problem and to call apple.

geesh!

11. Zebceponaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Well after dlink telling me to call apple, and apple telling me to call dlink I finally resolved my issue with no help from either of them.

If anybody else is having this issue check out....

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=608828

I had to go into network settings and change add my ISP's dns number to the list and it works fine now.

Hopefully this will help somebody else out.

cheers

12. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy