MBP + iPad in one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darth nihilus 69, Aug 5, 2015.

1. darth nihilus 69 macrumors newbie

curious if anyone ever thought about a fully functional touchscreen MBP where the screen detaches and it's an iPad. would be amazing

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Nope, you are the first one to ever float this idea.

3. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

I don't believe you can just take a laptop form factor and a tablet form factor, smash them together and get a revolutionary device. Either you need two sets of hardware (x86 for the MacBook part and Apple hw for the iPad part) with separate batteries - and that's terrible, or you need a thick and ugly display part (the iPad must be powerful enough to run the MacBook mode and contain the battery) and a tiny little keyboard, or you need a regular iPad that can run OS X and iOS and a battery + keyboard "stand" where it charges and looks like a laptop. Hell, do I need to continue? Every possible configuration would look terrible and at least one of the "modes" would suck. And yeah, OS X is not exactly touch friendly (I like it that way).

4. venom600 macrumors 6502a

Or he could just buy a Surface and call it a day. I kid, sort of.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It would be dreadful, like all the other hybrid laptops I have tried.....

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, the surface 3 and/or the Surface Pro 3 offer this sort of functionality, however its more of a tablet with a laptop functionality and power.

The hybrids are heavy and I don't get the allure, I have a SP3 and find it to be a great product but I consider it a tablet that has laptop functionality