MBP+iPad, MBP+iPod Touch or iMac+iPad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iraisavampire, Nov 1, 2010.

1. iraisavampire macrumors newbie

Okay I'm new to the whole Apple scene, been using (and still am using) Windows up to this point but now that I've saved up some cash I want to make the switch. Running a 4-year old Windows desktop and 1-year old Windows netbook right now, sick and tired of this!

I'm a photographer, so I need a computer that can edit photos and video and not just to browse. I spend 5 days a week at my University and the weekends at home, so there is a little issue with the mobility. I have over 30GB of music by the way. Budget allowing, I can get the [ MC511ZP/A - iMac 27"/2.8 ghz Intel Core i5 /4 GB/1 TB HD/ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1 TB ] as an iMac, or the [ MC373LL/A - MBP 15" 2.66 Ghz i7/4 GB/ 500 GB HD/ 512 MB GDDR3 Intel HD ] if I were to get a Macbook Pro.

Given the circumstances, would it be more reasonable for me to get the MBP+iPad so that I could have a powerful computer I could easily move between my two houses while at the same time having a super-mobile tablet to use in school and for non-heavy duty computing activities, the MBP+iPod Touch which would be the same concept as the iPad but then I'd have to use the MBP for e-mailing and web browsing and just stick to having mobile music, or the 27" iMac which gives me the most bang for the buck and a really pretty screen while having the iPad as my mobile computer although it would mean I would have to go 2-3 days a week with only my iPad as a computer excepting long vacations when I would just take my iMac back to our family house?

2. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

The best machine is the 27" iMac. The 1G graphics card would be ideal. However, since you are traveling back and forth weekly, the 2.66ghz MBP is more than strong enough to handle your editing needs. You can always get a cinema display if you need a bigger monitor. Good luck, and welcome to the family!