MBP & iPod...Figure this out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Screwball, May 22, 2008.

1. Screwball macrumors regular

Hi there,

I currently own a Penryn MBP and I also have a 4th generation U2 iPod, I'm experiencing problems with! When connecting via Firewire on startup, while holding down option key, the iPod doesn't appear! Not even if i set iPod as startup disk! What could be the problem?

Thanks to all

2. Screwball thread starter macrumors regular

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My understanding was that those iPods can't be used as hard disks while connected via FireWire - they only support charging via FireWire. If you want to use it as a hard disk you must connect it via USB. Intel Macs CAN boot from USB devices, so you should be okay there.

4. Screwball thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply!

Funny, i thought the opposite was true, but then i think i'm going to have to try what you suggested!

5. viggen61 macrumors 6502

If it is a 4th gen (first "big" iPod with the click wheel), then it supports sync on BOTH USB and FireWire. I have a 4th gen 40 GB black & white, and I've synced with both, and the iPod shows up in the Finder in both cases.

I admit, though, I've not attempted booting to it, but then I don't have Leopard (or any other Mac OS X version) installed on it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

:apple: