MBP is accessible even when lid is closed - normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jennyp, Feb 19, 2016.

1. jennyp macrumors 6502

I find that, using my iMac, I can, via file sharing, open and edit documents that are on my MacBook Pro while the latter is apparently asleep with the lid closed.

Is doing this harmless to the MBP?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I doubt Apple would enable a function that damaged your MBP.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It's a supported feature to wake up on demand for things like file sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201960

Though admittedly, that suggests it should only work if lid is open and asleep unless external display attached..

But I wouldn't worry anyway if it's not obviously otherwise on, as clamshell mode has always been a supported mode in any case.

4. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Yes it is a feature. Although I didn't know this in 2014 and replaced a perfectly good Macbook Pro that I used to have on a shelf, lid open for iTunes Home Sharing and as a file server. The cat would sit on the keyboard when the laptop got warm and go to sleep, so to avoid damage I replaced it with a Mac Mini to great financial cost, then I found out this feature in OS X.... :oops:

5. jennyp thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies guys. I have to admit that this is a belated revelation to me. I was wondering what the catch was! I guess I was worrying that editing documents etc remotely might make the MBP heat up too much or something with the lid closed. It's an all-SSD MBP, if that makes any difference.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your computer is designed to take care of itself in regards to heat. This wouldn't be doable if it was harmful to do.

I think the fear of overheating is a bit too widespread around these parts.