MBP is dead. What could be the problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watermonkey, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

My MBP, purchased in November, 2006 (It's about three months and three weeks past the 3 year warranty!) has suddenly refused to respond to the power button at all. The adapter plug tiny green led glows when plugged in, so I'm sure it's getting power to that point. But otherwise it's completely unresponsive. I did the SMC reset and called and talked to tech support at Apple and he said I did everything he would've told me to do (try starting it with just the DC adapter power, and again using just the battery power, reset SMC). I'm pretty handy with this platform having done a HD replacement procedure a couple years ago, so if I can figure out what exactly the problem is, perhaps I can fix it without paying the high price for a technician to do so. What is the problem and how can I verify it? Thanks in advance to all responders, except the ones who are wrong... :p

Oh, and does anyone know if Apple has any history of extending their three year warranty for things like this?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, they don't extend Applecare
    Although, they may have some options, depending on the nature of the problem

I would recommend taking it in to have it looked at
    At least get it diagnosed

3. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

Well, since things like this seem to happen on a Friday, I've got all weekend to try and figure out what happened. Best guess is logic board. Next week I'll be taking it in to the shop for a proper diagnosis.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I know some 2006 batches had faulty / somewhat faulty logic boards. mine did and although it got replaced with the same type about a year after purchase, it was the logic board that sent my MBP to heaven 2 months ago :(

edit: It would have cost me 650 british pounds to get it fixed so I hope it's not the logic board in your case..

5. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

Can anyone tell me how to find out what the CPU clock speed is? Is there a place online you can go and plug in your serial to get all the specs? I don't recall if it's a 2.33 or less...

Oops. Nevermind. Amateur mistake. Clock speed is printed right next to serial under battery.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

7. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

talk to Apple

My mbp (circa 2007) failed recently and it was the logic board. There's a history of faulty boards in some of those mbps (something connected to the nVidia chip, maybe) and Apple fixes those for free. So check it out. There should be an Apple notification on their website somewhere about this problem in the MBP.

8. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

Yeah, that was the first thing the Apple tech asked when I called. Unfortunately, I have the ATI GPU in mine.

There's no way for the battery to be depleted, the computer isn't consuming any energy. It won't power up. That fix is for a computer that's in a sleep loop and is sucking power.

I'm going to call again today and ask someone to find a way to extend my warranty as a courtesy. This feels like planned obsolescence to me and doesn't encourage me to remain a faithful Apple customer...

9. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if you put the battery in the freezer it will drain quickly. the bad news it could kill the battery completly.

10. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

Applecare rocks!

So I sent in the laptop for $355 and told them to take a look at the monitor, too. They sent it back the same day they got it and it was delivered the next day with a new monitor, new logic board, and new 1G RAM chip. All this for $355. What a deal!

11. auero macrumors 65816

I had these issue before. Ended up being the POWER BUTTON itself! They replaced the logic board, screen, top case, almost everything until they found that the real problem was the power button. Go figure.

12. duo peach macrumors newbie

13. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

That sounds pretty good. The customer service aspect was one of the main reasons I switched.