mbp is makin harddisk malfunction!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smgkw, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Smgkw macrumors member

I baught a refurbished mbp a year ago... The keyboard lights were not working, so I took it to a mac store. I live in kuwait so there arnt any official mac stores just authorised reslellers (who btw are rippin peopl off with profits over 100%) anyway so they told me that the hard disk was not working!

I told them that I just baught the mbp and it has to be working! They fixed it or something and returned it to me with no charges.

A year later my mbp decided to use the malfunction card it stoped working. All I'd get when I turn it on is a white blank screen and a mouse cursor.

I took it to a shop to fix it. He told me the hard disk isn't wokring and cannot be fixed. He replaced it.

A month later instead of a blank screen I get a blinking folder. I take it back to the shop and he says the new hard disk malfunctioned again, so he replaced it.

A week later blank screen I take it to the shop same problem hard disk needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind that by shop I mean multiple mac associated and non mac shops, I took many opinions b4 accepting that my harddisks and the info on them were indeed lost.

Now I am thinkin my mbp is causing the hard disks to malfunction! Is that posible?

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Don't think so...

Could it be something you downloaded?

3. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

Well.I download all my programs etc from apple.com or c-nets download.com so I don't think that's it

4. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

I know this sounds far fetched but wat am I suposed to think given the series of events. 3 hard disks!

These are the programs that were on all 3 harddisks
    Vlc media player
    Hot spot shield
    Transmition
    The apple programs that come with the device
    Microsoft messenger

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it possible that its how you handle the laptop that is causing the problem? I mean if its getting thrown in a backpack or tossed about (an extreme example) will certainly give you problems.

I've had apple laptops since the powerbook days and the HD has always lasted and not given me any headaches (knocks on wood).

I doubt very much that software is going to the culprit.

6. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that's the problem either cus my mbp never went in a bag except once when I traveled and it was in my backpac alone and ddnt get thrown around

It never fell from me, and I'm the only user

The only problem that I'm wonderin about is that when its in sleep mode I move it from place to place my friend told me that I should shut it down completly.

Hasn't anyone had this problem b4?

P.s. Thanks u guys for ur help

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

In sleep mode the only thing that has power is the ram, the HD is not spinning so your friend is wrong.

8. revs macrumors regular

Well the "Blinking folder" wanst a broken hard drive, it was simply a missing System Folder from the sounds of it.

Its hard to say what the actual cause was. Your HD may have been fine and the repair shop may just not know much so always blame the HD.

Next time this happens maybe use a video camera to record it so we can see whats happening?

9. Smgkw thread starter macrumors member

So for now all I can do is replace the hardisk and hope for the best?