MBP is on Fireee

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ForthRightAfter, Dec 31, 2009.

1. ForthRightAfter macrumors member

ForthRightAfter

so i was using my mbp 13" (mid 09) i was on my way out and figured i'd just charge it when i got back. get back bout 2 hrs later, i go to plug it in and it starts up...it gets stuck at the load up screen and wont go past, so i restart it in safe mode everything loads up nice, i got into disk utility and check the permissions, everything is out of whack i fix what i can but it states i need to reformat it WTF? anyway i have everything backed up and do it.. 1st time it tries to install Snow Leopard it fails.. i go for the 2nd install and its all good.
    as im going through the registration i feel the laptop is getting hot. hotter than normal a few seconds later i begin to smell a burning smell coming from it.
    few seconds later the smell is now strong and i see fumes coming out of it.

i turned it off and called apple care and explained it all, told me to bring in the laptop to apple store for further diagnostics, they check it out the video processor test failed and they believe the the soder that was holding it in place was burning and fuming.

they gave me a brand new mbp as a replacement....all in all pretty crazy seeing my mbp go up in smoke.

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

So all in all a good experience from a bad one. Also glad to hear no one was hurt in this situation, well except for your machine. I hope all goes well with your new machine.

Cheers.

3. iSavant macrumors regular

4. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I'm glad there were no injuries or damage done to your home. It's great you got it replaced right away.

5. phineas macrumors regular

phineas

Just imagine

How long it would take if you were going through Dell "HELL" or anyone else :)

Please to help me understand the problem?

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Something similar happened to me when my Asus laptop blew up while on a business trip in Dublin. Not a pleasant experience. I'm glad nobody was hurt when this happened to you.