MBP is running hot!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppfd, Jun 1, 2011.

1. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

My 3 month old macbook pro is running hot, fan is running all the time.

Went to the Apple store today for a genius appt. And of course it ran fine and they could not find a problem.

Istat as of right now says:

CPU 185
    Fan 4346 rpm

Processes Adobereso 84.2%

Is this the problem? I went into spotlight and cannot find this program.
    Should I delete all adobe programs?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's probably flash, but you could just end that process from activity monitor, and you should be fine.

3. AFPoster macrumors 65816

The fan rpm is fine. Open Activity Monitor and close out that process.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your temps are fine, just like all the thousands of threads talking about the very same thing you could've easily searched for.

5. AFPoster macrumors 65816

rough on 'em huh... Even though there are thousands of the same post's we can still answer with politeness.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The OP has a join date of 4 years ago, surely he/she knows how to search?

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Those aren't normal temps for idle anyhow. The program is sucking up CPU and heating the computer up. No, it won't damage the computer, but 185F is unpleasantly hot to the touch.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Indeed. If those are idle temps the OP should most definitely be worried, or remove the computer from the stove it's placed on and put it on a proper desk.

OP, make sure you're not blocking the vent at the hinge of the computer with your bed sheets or anything else, and if your computer isn't shutting down due to the heat, it's not overheating, simple as that. Hope that helps.

9. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

That is the CPU temperature. I doubt the OP is frying an egg on his case. :)

That's roughly 80'C. Hot, but not outrageous depending on the ambient temperature and the surface the notebook is resting upon.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm aware that's the CPU temperature, however my Mac (Alu. MacBook), my parent's 13" MBP, and my dad's iMac all idle significantly lower than that. Mine is the warmest at around 130F. Mine doesn't get up to over 180 unless I am maxing it out.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, he only has 44 posts. Obviously, he rarely comes on this site. Perhaps responses like that are the reason?;)

12. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

Hey all thanks.

Yes I should have searched and I agree it gets annoying when people post without searching. I pride myself in figure out problems, I guess thats why I only have less than 50 posts. That and my Apple products rarely give me fits.:D

(I won't post my battery questions!:eek:)

I posted, as I was a little irritated after taking the MBP to Apple and of course, it ran fine. I get home fire it up and its near 200 degrees in less than 5 minutes.

So what you all are saying is open activity monitor and close it out? I wonder whats making this open.

As of now istat shows:
    CPU 101 Fan 2001
    The program in question is not showing up in processes.

I repaired disk permissions and ran Onyx and then shut down for a little bit to let it cool. I have no idea if any of that actually had anything to do with helping.

Again thanks!:)

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

ie. process not showing up. Make sure in Activity Monitor that you have it set to show "all processes". If one is using up a ton of CPU, post it on here and we'll see if we can figure out what's causing it.

14. ppfd thread starter macrumors regular

ppfd

Just did it.

"adobe resource synchronizer" Is the one that was giving me fits it looks like.

Now it shows 0.0% of the processor. Go figure!:D

15. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Use quicktime to record the temps and then show it to apple. Also tell them the ambient temp of your room.
    Hope this helps.:):):)

16. hectorvs macrumors member

hectorvs

I didn't get the model of your laptop, but if you got one of the Pros that have dual video cards, it may get hot because of the dedicated GPU.

I read in an arstechnica benchmark article that programs like Flash and Photoshop will make your MBP switch to the dedicated GPU automatically.

Now, if you're watching a flash video on chrome, for example and you close the browser window (but not quit chrome) your MBP will get "stuck" using the dedicated GPU instead of the internal one.

It is until you completely quit chrome that the dedicated GPU will be "released"

Some programs act this same way... if something triggers the dedicated GPU then it won't stop until you quit that app. This could cause some unexpected heat.

Seemed like an interesting tidbit of info to me.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

post pictures next time :)

good job looking for the program causing the excessive processing. really, this isn't a thread about the symptom (heat), but about the cause (program going rogue), so you could have labeled with something that would draw less ire :)