MBP is slow......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcurtiss433, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bcurtiss433 macrumors member

I just bought the new MBP, this is my first Mac, however, the internet on this thing is painfully slow. I am using my wireless connection which my PC is flying on, but it is taking my Mac up to 30 secs or more to load a page. I was not even able to stream audio from a radio station.

I did search this issue and found some very old posts suggesting to use some different DNS setting which I tried, nothing helped.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can not use this thing it is so slow and its to the point I am thinking about returning it. Please help.

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Can you plug it directly into your cable modem or wall? Or directly into the router? See if it does ethernet OK and the problem is just wifi. If it does ethernet OK then maybe try someone else's network? Like see if you can get wifi over another network and it does the same thing. Then I might try setting a reserved lease for it so it isn't using DHCP and try that.

It very well may be a bad airport card; this is not normal behaviour.

3. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I would have blamed your wireless connection, until you said your PC runs fine on it. I would take your new MBP to an Apple Genius and have him or her test it on their wireless network and troubleshoot from there.

4. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

It does it on any connection that I have tried. I had bought a MBP about a week ago then exchanged it for the new release MBP and they both have acted this way. I did some research and it appears to be a somewhat known issue for the slow wireless on some MBP's.

So I am stumped.....

5. MR1324 macrumors 6502

test your main computer that has the internet box set up to it to make sure the speed is normal first. then, try accessing the wifi and testing the speed on the laptop. last night, i was experiencing the same problem with my new 2011 13 mbp (slow wifi internet). i just tested it again today and everything is good

6. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Definitely odd. I'd spend some time on the phone before you return it again. Insist that they elevate your call up the tech ladder if it can't be solved at first.

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

had same issue last year with 2010 MBP...tried everything. Finally fixed when I changed to different router. Can you borrow another and test?

8. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

Both my PC and MBP are using the wireless, the PC is cruising right along and the MPB is crawling. I am going to try and plug it directly as suggested above and see how it does.

9. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I can get my full 20 Mb/s down using either my Apple router or my Asus router. I used to get dumped from cheaper DLink and Netgear routers a few times per day, but I never had any speed issues.

10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

same with me...pc's and even iPad ran fine...only my MBP..do the direct plug in and then check out another router

11. hawse771 macrumors member

What kind of Router are you using (try and post specific model) maybe someone can chime in with more helpful information if there is a known conflict.

What you are experiencing is far from normal for any computer, Mac or not. Heck even phones connect fine via WiFi to access home internet without going really slow.

If it goes really slow plugged into the router (make sure to turn airport off possibly when doing this to ensure it is accessing inet through the ethernet cable and not through wifi still). then it is some sort of problem between your router and the MBP possibly because it would be odd for both network adapters on your MBP to be bad.

12. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

My router is a wireless Cableone Motorola SBG900, I plugged it in direct and it was running fast, so I am now using my Verizon mifi to see how that is, and it has helped but still running slow, but not as slow.

13. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to add, my iPad and iPhone run great on my wireless network as well.

14. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else having this issue? Any other ideas?

15. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

Went ahead and returned it and went back to my PC, not sure why the MBP was having this issue.

16. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Shame you returned such a beautiful machine. Pretty much guarantee it had to do with your router.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What a waste. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to fix the $100 router first?

18. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

It was on most any wireless routers, I tried many different ways to keep from having to take it back, trust me, I was not a happy camper to have to return it.

This is a somewhat known problem and the Apple store was also aware of the slow wireless issues as well. Bummed out.......

19. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Argggg ?; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What kind of router was it?

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

21. bcurtiss433 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have any ideas on this? I am wanting to get it figured out so I can enjoy using a Mac.

22. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

23. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Sometimes routers bind to certain mac addresses and favors certain machines. I remember when I first bought my iPad it would lose its connection to my router every few minutes and all my other machines were running just fine on it. It was frustrating as hell.

On top of that, researching the web showed that a number of people had the same issues and it was a huge ordeal for the iPad; I certainly was ready to return mine.

Resetting the iPad didn't help and resetting the router didn't help. However, when I was playing around with the antenna, I accidentally unplugged the router. (complete cold reboot) The problems with lost connections disappeared completely afterward and I didn't do a firmware update on the router or the iPad. Sometimes you just have to try different out-of-the-box things to fix wifi issues.

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

that sucks. I have not had any problems with either of my MBPs or an iPad. I have the Airport Extreme router. My girlfriends' PC works just fine as well, connected via ethernet.

You getting a new one?

25. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Get your MBP back, and get Apple's router.

I know buying a new router isn't something you want to do, but you'll thank us later. Throwing away a much better computer experience over a router issue isn't worth it. Trust me.