MBP - Is this too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmoran27, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I am using a 15 mbp late 2008 2.53. Running on the 9600.

Fans idle at 2000 rpm. Temps are a little high for my taste and really crank up playing a simple youtube video.

Is this normal? My 3.06 GHZ IMAC never gets past 40

Attached Files:

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

looks pretty good. but there are a lot of discrepancies among the users here about what temp is "normal"

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Seems about right, I have temperatures anywhere from 55-50 degrees (celsius) doing the exact same thing, you should be good. Also, you can't really compare the iMac to a MacBook Pro since the way it's put together and I believe the iMac has a bigger fan which helps.

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

5. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Those temps are fine. If you are at all concerned there is a freeware program called "Fan Control" that lets you set the fan's base speed, and the upper and lower temperature thresholds. It works very well.

6. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it normal for yutube to tax the system?

Are you telling me that a 2500 laptop can't handle YouTube without getting all hot with fans revving to 6000 rmps?

I don't have this problem with my imac or even windows boxes I have.

7. Crash Davis macrumors member

I have the same machine and the same issue. iStat numbers are pretty much the same.

I've noticed though that it only happens when I'm running the 9600 in "higher performance" mode, and usually only when my notebook is in clamshell mode.

I've been surprised by how drastic the heat increases for all components when using the 9600. Twenty degrees plus on the CPU.

Sorry, no help. Just comments.

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

No, it means you are needlessly worrying about your temperatures... possibly causing you to rev your fans to 6000rpm manually.

Nothing is free. If you wish to run a high performance computer in an extremely thin form factor then you are going to have higher temperatures (relative to larger enclosures), fans spinning fast, or both.

Fortunately all of those temps are very well within a safe range.

9. RKpro macrumors 6502

the notebook is a lot hotter no matter what you are doing when using the 9600...

If you are browsing the web, no point having it in high performance.

Unless you are using come GPU accelerated software, or games, there is really no point using the hot performance mode. I've done benchmarks in GeekBench, it tests everything BUT graphics, and I had the same score in both modes.

This might be different for snow leopard where the OS is GPU accelerated, but as it stands now, there is no point using high performance mode because almost everything is done by the CPU.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if you are going to use it as a desktop computer a stand is essential in my opinion. it keeps good circulation under the computer which keeps it cooler than sitting flat on a tabletop.

11. mkvowner macrumors newbie

If it isn't on a flat hard surface, expect the fans to go wild. Remember, flash is very processor intensive, hence its absence on the iPhone.

12. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

The youtube thing is a flash problem. Flash is implemented very poorly on Macs.

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You're comparing a desktop to a laptop. Not a very good comparasion especially since desktops have a WAY larger heatsink and more air flow.

14. eldy macrumors 6502

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

The main reason why it gets so hot is because you have it in clamshell mode. The air also goes through the spaces between the keys, so you just blocked a fairly major air circulation. Happens to me even with the 9400M in clamshell mode.