MBP isn't charging properly.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wbham, Sep 16, 2010.

1. wbham macrumors member

Can someone please give me an idea of what could be wrong with my MBP or charger. From a day or two ago it's very selective of what power outlet it will charge from, and even then it may just stop charging. eg It could be plugged in and then take about 5 minutes to the charging light to come on then turn off again after 20 minutes and it will stop charging. But then I just tried a different power socket and it was charging fine. And then theres some that won't work at all.

It's not the power sockets that are faulty because other things get power, just not my computer. It also seems to happen under OS X, W7, or even when its turned off or sleeping.

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check your power adapter, making sure it's firmly connected at both ends. Check the connectors at each end of the cord to make sure they're in good shape. How full is your battery when it's not charging?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. wbham thread starter macrumors member

It wasn't charging last night at around 20% so I used it till it died and left it over night and charged it in a new outlet. Since then I've unplugged it and now can't see to get it to charge. But it has been charging with some battery left since the fault started.