MBP issues. Hardware. No clue!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrweems, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mrweems macrumors member

Ok.

So about 3/4 months ago i dropped my MBP from about a 4-5 ft drop. It was open (i think i can't remember exactly.)

Basically it fell on its left side.

It messed up the outside casing of the screen and the case. That is it.

It had worked pretty faithfully for the past 3-4 months.

And then all of a sudden, firefox is working slow as poo. So i restart it. And its still doing it.

So i say, lets just reboot the comp.

Well when i go to do this. It doesn't even come back on.

I went through apple support help.
    and even googled for some help.

Nothing worked. I sent it to applecare. But i really think they got it. Opened the box. Saw it was damaged and said, we aren't even touching this.

So. Is there anything you all might think of as a solution. Possibly something on the inside came loose that just needs to be nudged?

They did quote me $1200. For a top and bottom case, logic board, dc in, rivet (something that sounded like this. i can't remember what they said.)
    So maybe they did open it up.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sounds like your hard drive has died TBH. try get a new one and see how you go....

3. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

oh i should also add.

With the restart that i tried.

When i tried to reboot. It would do the "power on noise" the power button would light up.

But no Screen power. And the keyboard wouldn't light up. As in caps lock etc..

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok then the apple guys were right, seems very logic board 'signs'.. looks like you might be out of options im afraid.

5. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

that sucks. :(

i was hoping you guys might have a quick fix
    I guess a new imac is in sight for me then..

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont sorry, not without properly looking at the computer i cant make any assumptions on how to fix it. maybe someone else will chime in for you, goodluck!

7. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

yeah. i did get my stuff backed up before i sent it off to apple.

i'm not sure if they had to go inside and grab the HD. I guess i could call them and see if they noticed anything.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

did you get to explain your situation to them??

9. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

to apple yes.
    the thing that blows my mind is that it worked for 3-4 months. i restart the computer. and it wont turn back on. thats weird to me.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup its extremely wierd, thats why i guessed that it could of been the HD finally giving in to the damage it may have received from being dropped.

11. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

so. how if that is the situation. would i just undo the screws take it apart, unplug the HD. stick a replacement in. And then load a OSX install disc in?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup thats the process pretty much, you would want to put the internal case into an external HD case (preferable firewire), boot from it, make a Time Machine backup onto another external HD (USB or FireWire it doesnt matter) and then install the new HD. that way you preserve your files, settings, desktop picture, network settings... everything!

13. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

the comp company that my mother took it to made a back up on a new External HD.

So. could i just buy a new HD and stick the External HD up to the MBP. With the new HD installed.

Where is a place that would have some kind of cheap HD i could experiment with. Something cheap thats compatible just to see if its the problem. the Hard drive that is. Its worth a shot for $20 i say if there is a HD i could find for $20.

14. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

ifixit has a 60g hard drive for $60. Thats still kind of pricey for a situation that might not even work... Hmm..

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how did they make the backup?? cloned the whole drive or did they use the apple program "Time Machine"?

if they cloned you will need another computer that has a program capable of restoring the hard drive to the new hard drive that you purchase.

if they used Time machine then you only need an install disc, the new drive, and the old drive connected externally :)

will 60gb be big enough?? its pretty hard to find used laptop hard drives, ebay MIGHT but chances are slim.. id personally put a bit of extra money into buying a decent HD (say $100), but thats just me.

16. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

im not exactly sure. My mom said that they put it in a way that if i got a new mac that all i'd need to do it hook it up and click it and it would transfer all my stuff over. Im not computer illiterate. but that sounds like they used some kind of program not sure though.

I'm looking at ifixit's guide to replacing a HD. it looks slightly more challenging than a noob is willing. Not sure how much a shop would charge for something like this. AND i don't even know if the hard drive went out.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok if she said that it only takes a few clicks then im guessing that they did infact use the program called Time Machine. its very handy.

replacing a HD can be quite chalenging, but if you follow the guides then its pretty darn easy. just lots of screws.

im guessing a shop would charge anywhere from $50 to $200 for the work, thats including restoring the data and stuff. (not sure if the rates change in your country, im in australia :) )

18. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

USD for me.

Well if i took it to a shop. And i knew that this would fix the problem. Id say.

Replace the internal HD of my mac. And thats it. That is all i want to be charged for. But i'm still taking a risk at spending $100 on just the replacement and then another $100 for a hard drive. And if it didn't fix it. Thats $200 out the door just on a guess. I'm a college student. I don't have $200 just to throw out there.

I'm reading a few things online about how peoples macs worked or was in sleep mode. Rebooted. And got a blank screen.

19. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

quick question.

With what i got done with this company.

They put it on a new external hard drive. 500g fire wire. I forgot the name of the hard drive.

But my question is. Could i infact hook it up to my computer. And would that do anything? I mean i'm assuming nothing would. But is there any way to say, use the external as the main HD and try and boot off of it?

Does that make any kind of sense?

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes i know the feeling, im going to uni and money is scarse. i wouldnt take the chance until i knew exactly what the problem was!

yes that does, if the computer is working then your in luck! plug the external drive in, hold down the :eek:ption: key when booting and you can select your drive. it should boot!!

the beauty of macs.

21. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

ah yes. But the whole situation of. I turn the computer on. And i get black screen. As in. No light to the screen at all. And the keyboard doesn't light up. I'm assuming that would lead to one thinking that its a Logicboard problem.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup thats the trouble.. just dont spend any money yet until you know the problem haha..

bed time for me!!