MBP Issues - Screen Freezes Then Reboots

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abeckett5000, Apr 22, 2015.

1. abeckett5000 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm even posting this in the right area, but I really need some help with my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro! I have a 13" with a 2.5GHz Intel core i5 processor. I started having problems about a month or two ago, and so I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the hard drive to a SSD. This seemed to solve the problem for a short bit, but then the computer began having issues again.

Problem 1: Initially the computer started having problems when I would try to put it to sleep by closing the screen and putting it in my laptop sleeve in my backpack. I would open it up several minutes later and the computer was incredibly hot to the touch and would not start up. I stopped using sleep mode and began shutting it down every time I was done using it to prevent overheating.

Problem 2: Now my computer will be running fine, then suddenly the screen will freeze and there will be these columns/lines of random boxes all over. The computer won't respond, and then after a moment it will shut off and restart.

I have heard I may have logic board issues, but I don't even know where to start or how to tell if that is the case. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time and expertise!

Attached Files:

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

That does indeed look a lot like a logic board issue with the onboard graphics. It may require a complete replacement of the logic board.
    Are you covered under any sort of extended warranty or statutory rights?

3. abeckett5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not covered under the warranty anymore, and unfortunately I do not have AppleCare :(

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Try running the Apple Hardware Test to see what that turns up.
    Obviously, it won't fix anything, but it might at least provide some knowledge of what the problem is.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Try re-seating the RAM? Otherwise, you may need a new logic board.

6. abeckett5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so I ran the test and it came up with "apple.com/support" and ".4403D" I'm not sure what that means, but some of the search results from Google said it may be a hardware issue.

Also, I don't know if it helps or not, but the screen/reboot problem began before I had changed the RAM at all. I don't have the tools anymore, I'll have to wait to re-seat the RAM (I returned the ones I purchased on Amazon... they were cheap and started stripping the tips without much force at all. Which btw, any suggestions on a good starter set for a decent price?).

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I bought these from Home Depot about 10 years ago and they're still in great shape.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-IN-1-Torx-Screwdriver-Set-74502/100087664

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-...-and-Philips-Screwdriver-Set-71281H/204664388

8. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

heating up --> either the gpu or cpu
    if gpu is not failing, then it could be bad airflow / dried thermal paste.

Since you are going to open it up again to re-seat the rams, you may want to look at re-applying thermal paste and also cleaning the fans.