MBP Issues with Display Output

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tejaykay, Jan 9, 2009.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi,

I was wondering if other users are experiencing the same issues with their MBP. Basically, I have tested this on two Full HD TVs. One is a 32" Samsung and the other a 42" Panasonic. Both were connected via the mini-displayport to VGA adapter and then a connecting VGA cable to the screen.

The issue is the display output doesn't fill the screen, at any resolution! Both TVs can support 1920x1680, but my little knowledge over this area leads me to believe that VGA can't support that resolution?!? (N.B. In both cases, the right hand side of the transmitted display is cut-off before the edge of the actual screen)

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? My brothers Vaio Vista notebook plugs in via the VGA and works first time on both monitors, everytime,... filling the screen right to the edges too.

Could this be a problem with the adapter? Any help is much appreciated. Cheers.

2. Abernathy macrumors newbie

I am having this same issue. When hooking my MBP up to my HD tv it will never fit the screen, no matter the resolution. The edges are all cut off.

I used to remedy this by turning overscan off in display prefs. Unfortunately, that option completely disappeared after the 10.5.6 update.

This is really frustrating. I see that there have been multiple posts over at apple discussions, but no fix yet.

3. Abernathy macrumors newbie

Someone in another thread said that this fix may work. I'm going to try it tonight when I get home from work.

4. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

The "P.Size" option on my Samsung Full HD just flicks between 16:9 and 4:3. The edges of the screen are still not met. Where is this issue coming from?

1) The notebook's output,
    2) The VGA adapter,
    3) The VGA lead,
    4) The TV (highly doubt!)

What can we expect to solve this issue? Thanks again....

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you try to configure the resolution using SwitchResX instead?

6. Mac6272 macrumors member

I am currently having problems and am very frustrated and don't know if i should return mine, when i wake my mac up from sleep the external display comes up completely snowy like a TV with no ant. cable plugged in, I thought it was the monitor but after exchanging it i got the same problems, it doesn't do it all the time but at least a couple times a day.

let me know if anyone of you have seen or experienced this problem on the new 15" MBP

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

With the HDTV hooked up, go into System Preferences > Displays. A window on each screen should show up. If you see the same image on both, choose Arrangement and uncheck Mirror Displays and you will see the two windows.

In the window on the HDTV there should be a tab for Options. Inside of options is most likely a checkbox for Overscan. Try checking and unchecking the box and see what it does.

8. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

As noted above, this option was removed with 10.5.6. I was unaware of it before though. Thanks for the advice though.

I installed SwitchResX, but to be honest, I wasn't a fan. The application was too clunky, and it required installing two preference panes, one of which was a application helper. Which is all a bit heavy to install just for a solution to this.

Also, when I did have it running, the UI was pretty dire and made it quite difficult to adjust the settings intuitively.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Do we think another update to Leopard may solve this? Is it confined to the Unibody notebooks, or is it affecting other users too?

9. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Odd...I have 10.5.6 and I still have the overscan option.

What MBP do you have? What HDTV?
    2.16 CD 17" 2GB and Sceptre X37SV-Naga for me.

10. Mac6272 macrumors member

Has anyone had this issue with an external display??

11. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I've got a 15" Unibody MBP 2.53GHz. The TV is a Samsung 32" Full HD. The connection is via VGA, and as I said before, the problem is not restrained to this HDTV, but to others I have tested it on too.

Sorry to be a pain, but can you explain exactly where you find the overscan option please?

Thanks.

12. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

With the HDTV connected.

First:
    System Preferences > Displays
    - This should bring up two windows. One for the built in display and one for the HDTV. (probably labeled with the TV Model name)

Second:
    HDTV Window > Options > Overscan

I have mine connected with a DVI - HDMI cable. Is it possible this is a problem with the digital - analogue conversion of the Mini Display Port - VGA?

Attached Files:

13. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

I don't think the VGA connection allows this option as it doesn't recognise the TV in the same way as DVI. Below is the window I get, it doesn't recognise the display through VGA and removes the Options tab.

I think I may try the HDMI option via DVI, but I was waiting for Apple or a third-party to release a mini-displayport to HDMI converter so I could transmit audio through the connection too.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Attached Files:

14. Abernathy macrumors newbie

Man, this is so strange. I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable too, hooked up to a Panasonic and I have absolutely NO options section in the display prefs for the HDTV. I've had it before though! I want it back!

My next step was going to be trying get rid of 10.5.6. But if others have 10.5.6 and their options menu hasn't disappeared, then I'm at a loss.

:confused:

15. khongaeng macrumors regular

I just stumbled on this thread looking for comments about switchresx

I used to have this problem with my old powerbook where I couldn't get it to fit the screen properly. I used to try and connect it with a DVI to HDMI cable, and also using an S-Video cable. I was able to come up with a solution using the overscan option mentioned previously.

With my new unibody MBP I have found that using the mini displayport to DVI and then a DVI to HDMI cable connected to my Samsung 50" plasma automatically detects the correct screen size as soon as I plug it in.

If anyone is interested I can look at my settings in more detail when I get home, otherwise I will leave at that:

Try using a mini displayport to DVI and then a DVI to HDMI