MBP (Jun07/2.4) - is this the ominous Nvidia Bug?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flowagner, Dec 10, 2008.

1. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

Hi there.

My MBP just suddenly made a weird screen today. After resetting NVRAM and PRAM, the problem still lasted. After a while (I was copying files off the machine as a backup means) the computer ran out of power and shut down. When I turned it on again, it worked perfectly fine again .... is this the ominous Nvidia bug? Should I bring my MBP to the store?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. flowagner thread starter macrumors member

flowagner

noone? :)

3. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I would ... backup your hard drive, set up an appt, bring the picture and kindly explain your concern about losing your work if this ever occurred again, and they should offer to fix it, as the NVIDIA problem, under extended warranty. If they ask that you pay them, just have them run diagnostics instead of actually getting a fix. But don't pay for it until it's known that it's not the graphics bug (I think it is likely that it is).

Are there good Apple authorized repair places in Wien?

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Looks to me like you've entered the Matrix. Congratulations.

5. Chris F macrumors regular

It could be a warning sign for GPU failure. Unfortunately Apple will only cover it under the extended warranty if the GPU fails entirely at which point you will have no picture at all. The only way to get covered under the extended warranty is to have the machine be bootable but no graphics display. (eg: GPU is completely dead)

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

This may be official policy or something, but if it's not a terrible burden on you getting to one of these places, it's worth asking anyway. I've been fortunate in that regard.