MBP Just Froze - OSX Newb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Melodeath, May 3, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Maybe this belongs in the OSX forum, but it could fit here too I guess.

I have a 15" hi-res glossy i7 MBP.

I was just using OpenOffice editing a text document and listening to music with iTunes. Other programs open were Photoshop and Chrome.

All of a sudden, while typing, no more letters are showing up on the screen and the mouse wont move. The music is still playing, but the trackpad and keyboard continues to not respond. The music continues to play, and the play/pause button on the keyboard wont affect it. I close the lid of my MBP to try to get it to sleep, but it doesn't sleep. I open it back up and unplug the charger. The screen still says Charged by the battery indicator. The next song in the playlist in iTunes does not begin playing when the original song finishes.

After two minutes of not touching the MBP, the keys and screen go black (I guess it's going to sleep since it's on battery power and not being used). Now I move the mouse and everything lights up and is responsive again. The only thing that was abnormal at this point was no sound was coming out of iTunes when I played a song, but that was fixed by restarting iTunes.

This is my first mac, so this is the first time I've experienced something like this. Any ideas what happened? What do you do when a Mac freezes?

Thanks

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Thats weird. If that happens again take it back to Apple. Normally OSX is good about containing crashes so that one app crashes and your whole system doesnt freeze up. In that case you could just Force Quit. The fact that your trackpad froze is very odd.

3. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

I suggest talking to apple. Core i5's on osx just dont randomly freeze. There must be a defect.

4. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it happens again, I will definitely call Apple.

My friend with a Macbook (I don't know how old, but at least over a year) said the same thing has happened to him before.

Anyone else have this happen?

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's really nothing to get worried about unless it happens frequently. Computers freeze, even Macs. Hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn it off when it happens.

6. realz macrumors member

I had the exact same issue, however in my case laptop resumed normal function after a minute or two.
    I can definitely say it was CS5 Photoshop.
    Even after I closed Photoshop, my Dock kept crashing every now and then when I switched apps using cmd+tab. I quick logout fixed the issue.

7. IceBreakerG macrumors member

Strange, this just happened to me about 20mins ago. The only difference was it was right after a reboot (probably within 5mins of rebooting), and I wasn't touching it. It was sitting there idle on the desktop, I went to go check something in the System Preferences, and noticed the mouse cursor wasn't moving. I tried to close the lid to put it to sleep too and nothing happened. I reset it and it came back up, but I put it to sleep since I'm at work anyway. I've had this thing for like 2 weeks. But all these little odd ball issues I seem to be having is seriously making me question my purchase.

8. realz macrumors member

I wouldn't go so far as questioning my purchase.
    These things happen once in a while on ANY notebook/OS/platform/Software.

I've been using Macs for last 5 years and I don't think this has happened to more than 10 times (maybe even lesser).