MBP keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Avicenna, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Avicenna macrumors member

My 2011 13in mbp keeps disconnecting after about 20-30 from my router. The router is Linksys WRT120N. I had a mbp late 2009 15in and it does the same thing. I made a thread about it a year ago...

I tried changing settings on my router....tried everything but it keeps doing this..

Should i buy airport extreme? does anyone have any problems with it? Also, i don't know how often it is updated so is it a good idea to buy now?

Thanks.

2. iMackPro macrumors 6502

call your ISP and check your IP address. it sounds like you may have what they call a One Minute IP. and itll just keep crashing like every few seconds or something and youll never be able to keep a connection, i called cox and boom fixed!:apple:

3. six.four macrumors 6502

Mmm. It could be. But considering that wireless disconnecting is a common issue with the WRT120N, it's more likely that it's a faulty router than the ISP.

You can easily test if it's your ISP but connecting directly into your modem via a LAN line.

Also - the airport extreme, while a good router, there are better routers out there for much cheaper - especially if you are into tinkering and using 3rd party firmware.

4. Avicenna thread starter macrumors member

Thanks both of you for the input. It's not the ISP because my brother's pc laptop never disconnect from the wireless network even after staying connect for 12 hours +. Also, my desktop which is physically connected never disconnects either. It's only my mbp and my ps3 that constantly demands a reset of router every 20-30 minutes.

six.four, can you recommend a good router?

Thanks.