MBP keeps overheating when playing games.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DVK916, Aug 26, 2011.

1. DVK916 macrumors regular

I have a 2009 MBP with 9600m GT graphics card. Even at idle the GPU will get to 80C, and during gaming it often goes close to 100C, some times even over. The fans work fine, so that isn't the problem. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is not overheating unless your computer shuts off. You do not have a problem, as that is perfectly normal for an Apple portable under load.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

As for being at 80C at idle, that's not true. Your Mac isn't at idle if it's showing 80C. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

4. orangepeel macrumors member

80c is way to much for idle. Maybe the fans are caked with dust, if you still have applecare get it checked out.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dust is almost never the issue. The MBP and the fan enclosures are well sealed.

6. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Thats true, but 80C is still far too high for idling.

OP check activity monitor and determine if there are any processes consuming a high % of your cpu during idle.

7. orangepeel macrumors member

LOL. Seriously?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Note the last part of my initial post.
    Yes, seriously.

9. negativzero macrumors 6502

80C is too high for idling. You should be getting 40s-50s on idle. Check activity monitor to see if you're having any rogue processes.

10. orangepeel macrumors member

You need to stop posting. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. If you take the time to read the dozens of threads where people have suggested checking for dust, you'd find that they almost never find any.

12. DVK916 thread starter macrumors regular

The GPU is what is running at 80C when idle not the CPU, and yes the computer does crash due to the overheating of the GPU. So it is overheating and it is a problem. A GPU monitor shows 0% activity on it.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check Activity Monitor, as I recommended?

14. imperialnavy macrumors regular

I used to have a MBP like this, while i got around 65-70°C in idle, it was no problem at all to reach up to a 102°C while playing a game....

My advice : Use it in a cooler environment OR reapply the thermal compound.

While i am using the newest MBP currently, i think that reapplying the compound can get rid of a lot of heat. Currently, i am getting 78°C CPU and 81°C GPU while playing Deus Ex Human Revolution for instance -- just give it a try ;)

15. DVK916 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes there is very little activity.

16. tbln macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2009 3.06ghz 15" and it idle's ~70C, with fans at 2000rpm. It goes up to ~80C with some usage and ~100C with fans blasting when playing games or if the processor is running at sustained high load.

I've opened my case recently to install a SSD and noted that there was surprisingly minimal dust around the fans.

17. LowMach macrumors member

I must say while these mbp's are so nice looking they run way too hot!

In comparison I have a dell lattitude work laptop that runs win7 with osx 10.6.6 and ubuntu 11.04 running as virtual machines and it runs at 44c with browsers, putty, rdp's, terminal, excel, and other typical apps. My 13" mbp idles at 34c and stays in the 40's with just Xcode and hits 50's browsing and 90c plus if I open Netflix.

This may not be fair comparison since the Dell is a business class machine but very frustrating to see it run 3 os's at mbp idle temps while my Mac gets freaky hot on it's own.

Has anyone modified the mbp cases to allow more air to flow?

18. Jrv macrumors regular

19. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

uhhhhh I respectfully disagree 100C???? NOOOOO
    I have a new 2.3Ghz Quad core that under load never rises above 80C
    NEVER fans kick up to 6000RPM and temps fall down

----------

Mine idles in the 40's and games in the 60's o_O

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why are you comparing a desktop's heat dissipation properties with a notebook like it's actually relevant to anything?

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm puzzled. I know it's kinda big, but since when is a 17" MBP considered a desktop?

22. di1in, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

di1in macrumors regular

di1in

Your system temp is affected a lot by the ambient temp of the environment in which the laptop is placed. It is also affected by the type of game you play. Light weight titles obviously have a lighter impact.
    So if jrv wants to compare temps you should also consider the environment in which you're using it.

23. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Ignorant comment ignored

----------

1.I live in the caribbean 12/7 Hot and sunny.
    2.If the original poster gave me his game I would love to try and reproduce his boiling point temperature.