MBP Keeps Restarting Itself (?!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Monsieur, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Hey folks!

So...this is an issue I've had for awhile now. It happens so infrequently, however, that I haven't bothered to track down an answer. Enough's enough, however. What in the world is going on?
    My MBP shuts itself down and then restarts itself about once every month or two. From what I can recall, I'm always online when it happens. I'm also *always* away from my computer when it happens (which is really weird, because it happens while I'm in the kitchen, or something, on a break...never in the middle of work, so I never actually see what happens!)
    The computer is always plugged in, with a full battery.
    Any thoughts as to what it might be...or as to how I can go about figuring out what the deal is? Because of the way it happens, I'm wondering if my computer has been compromised somehow...but...that's probably just my imagination getting the better of me!

Thanks in advance!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Your computer will not be compromised.

I was going to say could be the auto restart in case of power failure feature, but it's a laptop...

Go into system preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule and check it's not set to restart at a certain time.

That's the only software related thing I can think of. And hardware is a bit too vague. Need to see it in action really.

3. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx!

Thank you, Schtumple!

I checked System Preferences...nothing there (didn't realize that could be set up, though, so...always good to learn something new about my Mac!) Maybe I'll just bring it to the Apple Store and see if their diagnostics test reveals anything...

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's alright.

The only thing I can think of is if the RAM is faulty, which will come up in tests (hopefully). You can do those tests yourself using an app called Tech Tool, under no circumstances using an app called Drive Genius though, it has SERIOUS faults across the board. Tech Tool is good, I think they have a free trial version too.