MBP Keeps Telling me to restart on startup?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samba, Aug 18, 2009.

1. samba macrumors newbie

Hey all.

Last night i was installing updates and half way through my MBP turned off! When i tried turning it back on.
    It makes the start up sound and the apple sign comes up, but then the screen turns grey and it tells me to restart my computer. When I restart it all start over again. :confused:

I dunno if I need the start up disks but I don't have the start up disks for my Macbook PRO i have my sisters normal Macbook start up disks ( she took the wrong box and she lives interstate ). Does it make a difference?

What kind of problem is this and how do i fix it?

I need my MBP back :(

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Using your sisters disks, you should be able to boot up from DVD n do utilitarian stuff. It sounds like the update not finishing n turning off midway has corrupted some system files. I don't think your realistically gonna get your MBP back using her disks. I would try repair permissions, repair disk first before you hang your head up to dry. :)

PTP

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hopefully you have a backup of some sort. You're probably looking at doing a fresh erase and install. Fixing permissions and other things in Disk Utility isn't going to fix the problem.

4. samba thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i erase and reinstall with my friends Macbook Pro CD?

His is the latest version of MBP, whereas i have the older MBP
    or do i need my original CD?