MBP keeps turning itself off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stetwin, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

When ever my Brothers MBP isn’t plugged in to the mains it will turn its self off in a matter of minutes, it can be turned back on without plugging it in to the mains but the same problem occurs over and over until it s plugged back in to the mains, does anyone know what the problem could be and how he would go about fixing it, the MBP is just over a year old so is out of warranty

/Ste

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Sounds like a bad battery issue. Try swapping it with another.

I had the same issue with some of my co-workers MBP and calling Applecare and getting a new battery fixed it.

3. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

How many charges does the Macbook Pro get from a single battery? And is it worth buying a one off eBay?

4. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

I suggest running coconutBattery while plugged in to look at the battery and let you know how its doing.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

If you're still within your AppleCare period (1yr standard, 3yrs if you bought extended), you can call AppleCare for a free replacement.

5. Sacred macrumors member

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I'm no longer under the 1 year apple care (which is typical, had one power cable self combust on me a few weeks ago leading me to having to spend £60 on a new one and the new one is already showing signs of wear round the magsafe connector, and now my macs crashing when ever its not plugged in to the mains!!!).

Anyway I've done 132 cycles on the battery, and its current max charge is 29xx instead of 55xx so I'm down to approx 55% of the original max capacity.
    So do you think getting a new battery at an extortionate £100 (over $200) will fix my problem?

Thanks,
    /Sacred

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

if you do get one from eBay, you need to get a brand new one, otherwise, you'd be having the same problem again, but you do know that hmm?

7. D.G. macrumors member

Warranty on batteries is two years for this type of problem, see: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/macbookpro.html

DG

8. Sacred macrumors member

Got on the phone to them this morning and explained the problems that I'm having to them.
    The guy on the other end was really really helpful and I'm having a new battery and power cable sent out free of charge (aslong as I return the damaged ones to them).

Can customer support for an out of warranty poor student get much better? I doubt it!!! Possibly the best company I've ever dealt with :D:apple: