MBP kernel panics! heat issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pscoble, Aug 30, 2007.

1. pscoble macrumors 6502

Over the last week I've gotten 3 kernal panics. After I shutdown I cannot start it up for 5-10 minutes. This happens while I'm playing games such as Wow or CoD2. The case has also been getting much hotter then normal so I'm starting to think it's a heat / fan issue. I hope nothing major is wrong I've already had to have Apple have to repair is once :(. Any advice for me about this issue? Thanks.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are yourunning via bootcamp or normally in osx??

i would suggest download istat and posting those temps here after playing for a while. if thinkgs get over 90C i probably would start worrying, the actualy overheat temp isnt until 125C tho...

3. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm under os x while this was happening. I'll post temps when I get home. Thanks

4. amd4me macrumors 6502

I use smc fan control and my average temp is 127 farenheit.
    at 3500RPM.

5. anothermacaddic macrumors member

Did you do the airport update? Theres a link in wow's tech support forum for macs. Post the panic log. Check your log against the other posters. I would assume its an airport issue coupled with the "cpu throttling" issue. Both are driver related. Sloppy thermal paste application im sure isnt helping so if you get real real ambitious, i mean REAL ambitious look up a guide to re apply the paste to your chips. Cant empasize how ambitious that is! Game a little bit wired, and see if you get panic as soon as before. Also, be careful with your surface, if its soft it will clog the vent under the screen, that will panic while gaming sooner that usual as well. All fans are running? Make sure none are reading 0 in smc.

http://techpaedia.com/apple/2006/08/27/testing-your-macbook-for-random-shut-downs/

See if this test gives you a kernel panic. This is how people are testing their macbooks when they have logic board issues.

6. pscoble thread starter macrumors 6502