MBP Key Backlight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carfac, Feb 5, 2009.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi:

I just got my macbool pro, so I am just getting used to it. I am having what I would consider a problem, but I also do not have any idea what I am doing.... so I thought I would see what you all think.

So the key backlight does not stay on constantly. As I have been writing this, the lights have come up and gone off two times. There, just started to come up again. And then, just now, back to nothing. All I am doing is typing what I am posting- no CMD-ALT-F key combos or anything.

So do I just not know what I am doing? Do I have it set yup wrong? Or is there a problem?

Hmmm... seems like MAYBE the shift key MAY have an effect- not consistently, but the light was fading up, I hit the shift, and it faded out w/o coming fully up...

Anyway, I am liking this computer- no dead pixels, very quiet, cool running, nothing like some of the horror stories I have read here. Just had it wrapped in the Inviso-shield- NICE!

I had the screen going up and down, figured that out- turned off the "Advust Brightness Bases On Ambient Light" in CP. But I do not think the keyboard is like that- but I just do not know!

Thanks!

Dave

2. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

It's supposed to be like that. It reacts to the lighting conditions. Sorry, no way to change that, unless you get labtickpro which overrides that (not recommended)

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Thanks. It isn't subtle, is it? Goes from full on to full off... I sort of expected something a bit more, uh, elegant from Apple.

Oh well. Thanks for the help!

4. bodhisattva macrumors member

In your system prefs, under Keyboard & Mouse settings there is a check box to have the keyboard adjust to low light conditions. I now have the unibody 15", and soon to come 17" models.. this model I don't see as much fluctuation in the keyboard lights.. but in the past with my previous 17" I noticed if my hands covered the speaker vents.. the keyboard would illuminate brighter.. so at times while typing, if my hand rested over the hidden sensor there.. the keyboard would sense lower light conditions and illuminate more. I would suggest taking it to a bright room and see if it dims.. then cover the speakers, or the isight lens and see if your keyboard begins to glow brighter.. if so.. all working properly.

5. bodhisattva macrumors member

usually the lights are very subtle on mine.. I've found when they come all the way up or all the way out.. I have somehow covered the sensor with my hand, or exposed it to a reflective light that fooled the sensor into thinking less/more light than there was.. good luck

6. Zendar macrumors newbie

i recommend you to try a freeware called "Lab Tick", which will enable backlight configuration regardless to the light condition you are in.

7. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

No, thi s is NOT subtle at all... full on to full off. It does fade, not just "cut", but it is very unnerving.

I am in a pretty well lit room now. Tried covering the speakers, no change. Same with the camera... no change.

8. stevieapollo macrumors member

lab tick

i agree. i downloaded that program. it truly changed my life.:)