MBP Keyboard Backlight Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChaosCon, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ChaosCon macrumors newbie

Greetings -

I love my MBP (15'') to death, but it's keyboard has been nothing but trouble. So let me recount my tale of woe - when I first got it almost a year and a half ago, I found that the case wasn't sitting right on any flat surface I put it on (it did that thing chairs do when their feet aren't aligned, it rocked back and forth from corner to corner.) So, I called Apple, and they sent me a box and replaced the case assembly under warranty no problem. Worked great after that, HOWEVER, I normally use a skinny Apple wireless keyboard in lieu of the stock laptop keyboard. When I did use the inbuilt MBP keyboard though, I noticed the 'h' key wasn't 'h-ing' properly; it wasn't as sensitive to being pressed as all the other keys. So, instead of dealing with Apple directly again, I went to the local Apple Service Center (not a store) and they said they'd need to replace the keyboard, again, under warranty no problem. So NOW, about 6 months after that keyboard replacement, I've noticed the keyboard backlight doesn't work. I took it in again to the local place, and they ordered a new board etc., but when they took it apart, they claimed there was "so much sticky stuff that the topcase was practically glued down." That's my problem - nothing was ever, EVER spilled on it, no external damage, no anything of that sort, however I'm afraid they'll just write it off to liquid damage and void out my warranty.

So, I apologize if that was too long, but if anyone could offer some advice on how to handle this situation (not to sound melodramatic :p), I would be very thankful!

~Con

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Get them to replace it again, and stop, um...

Why is there sticky stuff? Beats me. Not something that collects naturally, so somebody must've spilled something on it while you weren't around.

3. ChaosCon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahahahahahahaha - 'twas never used for that, I assure you!

That was the same thing I thought of. Either that, or they opened the wrong box thinking it was my machine. :( But it seems strange that ANYTHING got spilled on it, because the keyboard backlight was my only issue. No slowdowns or random restarts or anything. Thanks for the insight though =)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not really. The keyboard and trackpad assembly is physically isolated from the rest of the hardware by a thin aluminum substrate of sorts, as well as by the membrane that detects keystrokes. They certainly have holes in them for screws and cables and such, but would be enough to catch some spillage if you're lucky. The backlights are located above the cover, so they could certainly be affected.

That's not to say you're safe spilling things on it. I killed my MacBook Pro by doing so, so I'd advise against it. ;)

5. ChaosCon thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh - nifty to know =) Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Addendum - they fixed 'er up right nice, and everything is still under warranty. So I don't know what the sticky stuff was (neither did they) but it wasn't an issue =) Thanks for the help BlueRevolution!