MBP keyboard backlight issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Metuas, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

I *just* got a MacBook pro, and the keyboard backlight is behaving very strangely. The light, even in dark light, will randomly turn on and off. Sometimes I get the backlight, but most of the time it remains dark. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, is this an ambient sensor issue or keyboard backlight issue? The screen backlight seems to stay pretty well, so I'm guessing there's something up with the backlight. Oh, and if it is a keyboard backlight issue, is it something that can be solved at an apple store while one waits, or would Apple have to keep it for a few days?

As a side note, it had this problem before the MBP keyboard firmware update, and after.

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Do you mean it goes on and off while you are not using it? Sometimes, it can go on and off as your hands pass over the sensors as you type.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Underneath the left and right side of the keyboard, where there is a mess-like grill, there are ambient light sensors. It's normal for the backlight to be off, if in day light... and as you type, occasionally due to hand movement/shadowing you'll trigger the sensors to think it's dark! Thus the backlighting will activate. And, if you watch carefully, you'll see the screen's back-light adjusting too!!

4. Metuas thread starter macrumors regular

Metuas

Thanks for your help, guys, but this is in the dark. I keep my hands inside the keyboard and not on the grill, and I've even tested by covering the speakers/ALS which suitably dims the screen, but it looks like the keyboard light is gone. Apple wants 3-6 days with the machine ._______. Is the keyboard a user-serviceable part on the MBP?

5. viggen61 macrumors 6502

A suggestion:

Are you sure the backlight is enabled? Tap the F8 key on the MBPs keyboard (the one that has a flat line next to it). That toggles the keyboard backlight on and off. F9 dims the backlight, F10 makes it brighter. Just like F3-F5 do for the speaker, and F1&2 for the screen backlight.

Also, in System Preferences: Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard tab, check the box for "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions"

:apple::apple:

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Nope! Apple doesn't supply the part direct to the end user. Personally, if it's a new machine and there's a fault. Provided your in the initial 14 days (check the receipt) from your original purchase, there shouldn't be a reason why apple won't swap out the system for you - assuming you brought it from an Apple Store not a reseller.

7. bubster macrumors newbie

Keyboard Backlight - reactiviated

I've had my MBP since last Oct -- keyboard backlight worked as expected until about a month ago, then suddenly no backlight and all 3 function keys (F8, F9, F10) were disabled. I looked in System Preference, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard and it still showed a checkmark for illuminate keyboard in low light conditions.

So when I read these posts, I decided to cover both mesh grilled (to activate the screen and keyboard sensors) and at the same time, I hit F8 and VOILA! My keyboard backlight now functions again and all 3 function keys operate as intended.

No idea why this works -- it just does.