MBP Keyboard Backlighting (inaccessible??)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ndstrenge, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ndstrenge macrumors regular

Could someone help this idiot understand why his keyboard backlighting will turn off and then not allow him to turn it back on?

Tried the keyboard settings... told the illumination to NEVER turn off... yet it does... and when I click the F6 key to re-illuminate... I get a denied. WTF?

Basically, I want my keyboard backlight ALWAYS on. And, I don't want to be told by my computer that I can't adjust it. :(

2. lordthistle macrumors 6502

It's not possible without 3rd party utilities. If your notebook thinks the light is strong enough, it will keep the keyboard illumination off.

There are utilities that allow you to have the keys always on.

-- thistle

3. ndstrenge thread starter macrumors regular

Amazing that I can be sitting here, for hours, and access to control the keyboard would be intermittent. "I'm sorry, 3 minutes ago you didn't have enough light... but now you do."

Why have the NEVER option, then?

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

If you have previous-gen MBP, the light sensor is below the left- or right-speaker - don't remember- grill(<- not sure about this word). If you put an hand on it while you're typing, it activates the backlit.

If you have a current-gen MBP, the light sensor is close to the iSight camera and it is very sensible to subtle light changes.

I have never seen the "never" option. I have seen and keep seeing "Turn off when the computer is not used for". Which is different from "never" only.

thistle

5. ndstrenge thread starter macrumors regular

NEVER is under the "Turn off when computer is not used for... NEVER."

It just never doesn't turn off your illumination. :rolleyes:

Retarded. Utterly and completely retarded that I have to wave my hand by my sensor to reactivate the keyboard lights... and then pretend that I'm not waiting to lose the lights again. :apple:retarded:apple:

Anyone care to share those 3rd party resources... that Apple somehow forgot?

Why is controlling my system a jigsaw puzzle?

6. lordthistle macrumors 6502

:) I understand. There is a hidden option: turn it off ALWAYS when the light is enough even if the user is using the notebook.

A wizard named google returned this link:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/labtick.html

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

8. ndstrenge thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was looking for! Cheers!!

(Still dumbfounded as to why that's not standard on every machine.:rolleyes:)

9. Norco macrumors regular

Geez, I've never seen someone pitch a fit so much about turning on the illuminated keyboard. You should use google more... and go outside occasionally.

10. ndstrenge thread starter macrumors regular

I should go outside occasionally? I skied 8 hours today in a blizzard... you?

You shouldn't assume context or tone on forums so much. I would imagine less than half the posters you assume are "pitching a fit" are actually being facetious.

Here's a smily to enhance tone...;)