MBP Keyboard Cleaning Tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evilsheepy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. evilsheepy macrumors newbie

What do you guys use for cleaning the keyboard on your MBP?

I've had mine for about three months now, and even though I'm quite careful about typing only with clean hands, the keys are beginning to gather some of that smudgy brownish gunk that builds up from oil and dead skin... never used a laptop as my primary computer until now, so I'm paranoid about using wipes or anything wet in case moisture gets in and screws with the hardware.

I found a website that suggested using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, anyone have any experience with those?

thanks

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

The Magic Eraser works well on the surface of the MBP, I have not tried it yet on the keys. If I have to guess, I would say it would work well.

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

What I do is power down, take out the battery, and use a micro fiber cloth with a little bit of alcohol. Let it air dry 15 minutes and power it back up.

For my BT kb, I pop the keys off and soak them in warm soapy water then rub the grim off. Pop them back on and apply a small amount of lubricant on the metal hinges and it's like new.

now i want to clean my keyboards...THANKS :p

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

5. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Try iSkin too.

Using the iSkin cover really does keep your keyboard pretty clean. I use it and love it! My main reason for buying it is I like to play first person shooters in windows and didn't want the paint on the keys on the left side of the keyboard to start wearing off. However, it keeps everything clean and lowers the noise on the key press too.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I think I'd rather replace the keyboard as well.