MBP Keyboard Cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ELA2, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ELA2 macrumors member

Asked 1000 times. Currently have a Moshi but the cover is starting to ever so slightly cloud up. People say its fine oils and dirt but I think its actually the stress on the membrane. Any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks!

2. satchow macrumors 6502

I just buy a new $1.50 silicon keyboard cover off EBay from a Chinese seller every few months. I think it's a much better investment than one $25 cover.

3. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I have a iSkin ProTouch keyboard skin on my MBP. I've had the same one since I bought my MBP in 2008. It still feels like new, though some of the key letterings have worn off slightly, but not a big deal to me really, and to be honest it has held up fantastically well for how long I've had it. Mine is solid black, and not see through so can't say if the clear ones would cloud up or not like yours, but their solid ones from my experience age quite well. Now the one I have is for the older silver keyboard MBP but they sell ones for the newer keyboards also.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I can't supply you with a link, but this should really help you out on the cheap.

[​IMG]

5. actionvaughn macrumors member

actionvaughn

This is incredibly unhelpful considering your site is down for another two days. :(

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Have you even tried cleaning it? Membrane stress will cause it to bubble up over time, mine is doing that right now after only 9 months use. Moshi says it's normal wear. But I guess that's better than the keys wearing and getting all glossy.

I'm not a fan of those silicone keyboard protectors as they just seem to thick, especially compared to the Moshi ClearGuard.

7. ann713 macrumors 6502a

You can find inexpensive keyboard covers on eBay, they come in different colors of the rainbow.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

I've tried a few of those and still prefer the Moshi ClearGuard.

9. ann713 macrumors 6502a

The Moshi ClearGuard is a decent cover, looks sleeker and it definitely feels better to type on, but after a few months' use, it didn't look too pretty. Washing only made it worst because the whole film turned cloudy and opaque-like. I realized that it's an expensive replacement just for a piece of silicone. Funny enough, I bit the bullet a second time before going the cheaper route. ;)

10. Sti-R macrumors member

IMO, Marware Keyboard covers are better quality than Moshi. Go check them out. I've been using mine for over a year and it's still looking pretty damn good. No clouding at all after numerous washes.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have used the Moshi cover in the past and have switched to the iSkin one after the former became difficult to clean. I am quite satisfied with the replacement. It's easy to clean and the silicon feels slightly higher quality.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

I've never had mine turn cloudy after washing it.

But it's not silicone, it's urethane.

13. Username02 macrumors regular