MBP Keyboard Cover

Storm917

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Hey guys so I recently picked up a 13" 2017 MBP and was wondering if getting a keyboard cover is a good idea? I understand there have been issues with these models having keyboard failures. Has anyone experienced any benefits from getting a keyboard cover? If so does anyone have a recommendation on any good ones?

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have a keyboard cover over mine because I hate when the matte keys turn shiny from constant use. I got it off of Amazon for like $11. It also helps to keep dust and other problematic particles from getting into the keys which is what causes the new butterfly switches to "stick" and fail. The one I got is a dark green and it actually blocks out the backlight from the keys which kinda sucks. If that bothers you then there are clear ones, I just got the colored one to match the shell case I put on it. lol

The only downside is that the silicone covers can make it feel like you're typing on an iPad smart keyboard (in my opinion) due to your fingers hitting the silicone layer instead of the actual keys, but I wouldn't want to use the keyboard without one.

Storm917

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I have a keyboard cover over mine because I hate when the matte keys turn shiny from constant use. I got it off of Amazon for like $11. It also helps to keep dust and other problematic particles from getting into the keys which is what causes the new butterfly switches to "stick" and fail. The one I got is a dark green and it actually blocks out the backlight from the keys which kinda sucks. If that bothers you then there are clear ones, I just got the colored one to match the shell case I put on it. lol

The only downside is that the silicone covers can make it feel like you're typing on an iPad smart keyboard (in my opinion) due to your fingers hitting the silicone layer instead of the actual keys, but I wouldn't want to use the keyboard without one.
Thanks for the information. I'll probably get a clear one; I don't have a shell over mine. I used my 2011 MBP for 6+ years and had very minimal cosmetic damage at the end of it's life. Any shells you'd recommend just incase I change my mind? lol

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks for the information. I'll probably get a clear one; I don't have a shell over mine. I used my 2011 MBP for 6+ years and had very minimal cosmetic damage at the end of it's life. Any shells you'd recommend just incase I change my mind? lol
I sometimes end up bumping it on stuff and I'd hate to dent a corner (which is something I've done on previous macbooks). Plus the new Apple Logo is polished and It would look bad if that got scratched up.

I ordered a MOSISO one off of Amazon. Cheap and it just snaps on and it gets the job done. They also have ones that come with a matching keyboard cover (which is what I got) and a cheap little film screen protector. They're cheap but it works well enough for me, even the screen protector. Mainly it keeps my Macbook from scratches, minor dents and it protects the screen from scratches. Well worth the small price.

https://www.amazon.com/MOSISO-MacBook-Keyboard-Protector-Compatible/dp/B01NCOLR2V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549043646&sr=8-1&keywords=mosiso+macbook+pro+2017+13+inch+case&th=1