MBP keyboard fails again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HerbyGunther, Apr 7, 2008.

1. HerbyGunther macrumors member

My MacBook Pro keyboard and trackpad has failed again, after being repaired for the same problem. I bought this one in June 2007 and about 4 months later the keyboard stopped working. Attaching external keyboard/mouse worked. I left this like this for a while, because of work I needed my laptop and could not wait 3 weeks. Not so long ago I decided to bring her to the repairs and 3 weeks later I got it back all fine working again... Very good... but 3 weeks after that I was laptopping in the train and it stopped working without reason. That is unbelievable! Something is wrong.....

This post is not really a cry for help, because the last time I had already searched on the internet finding for solutions but nothing worked. I'm just wondering if someone else has experienced this before and wanted to share my story. Plus this is something that needs to be said, so maybe Apple can focus more on making quality products in terms of hardware. (made in China, bah.....)

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

mine is a year old and the keyboard works just fine, nothing wrong with the product, just bad luck i guess. do you know what was replaced when they fix it the first time??

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I had the same problem happen to me last week as my keyboard and trackpad just stopped working in the middle of a class. A little bit of research on Apple's Support Discussions and I found this topic: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569. This fixed the issue for me long enough so I could get through the rest of the week of classes and take it by an Apple Store (where they refused service, but that is another story). The Apple " Mac Genuis" suggested replacing the logic board, keyboard, and topcase (which includes the trackpad) to fix this issue. See if you can take it back and get them to replace those parts and it should fix your issue.

4. HerbyGunther thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot! I hope this works for me. Bad from Apple that this fault can be in their so expensive hardware.

5. Funky Bibimbap macrumors newbie

Almost exactly the same here. Bought my MBP in Juli 2007, keyboard and trackpad broke in November. At the Mac shop they replaced the logic board, keyboard, and topcase, afterwards no problems.

Today it both stopped working again. I am really pissed!!! :mad:
    I shell out a fortune to have a reliable tool to work with and this is what happens. Arrgh!

6. Funky Bibimbap macrumors newbie

I talked to Applecare yesterday. Have to take it to my nearest Apple Store again (2 hours away). Last time my MBP broke I went there only to return with my broken laptop because they didn't have the parts to repair it and I couldn't leave it with them for so long and waste more work time (used a USB keyboard in the meantime). Had to make the journey again two days later.
    So this time I thought I would be smart and check beforehand if the parts were there already. Impossible. I have to go there again (will waste four hours in total) and probably be told again, to come back two days later. Of course the helpful phone-lady, who is incapable of checking for a part in the shop she's working at, doubted my judgement about this issue too. It's not like it obviously happened to a number of other people too (I've even read two reports from people who went to the exact same store (Carrefour Laval) with the exact same issue). I guess she's just in line with company policy of treating customers like idiots. I'm sure starting to feel like one for investing my money in their products. My grandmother's 8 year old 500$ Dell never had issues like that.

7. Funky Bibimbap macrumors newbie

Actually my grandmother's Dell wasn't 500$. She got it free with a newspaper subscription.

8. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

This was fixed in a Leopard update which included new firmware or drivers for the MBP, I thought. I had a similar issue which arose soon after upgrading the Leopard betas then finally Leopard itself. I had the top case and logic board replaced in November, but this did not fix the issue. Finally there was an update for Leopard and I haven't had the issue since then.....

Make sure your computer is completely up to date!

9. Funky Bibimbap macrumors newbie

I am running Tiger.

10. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

It is not a firmware issue in this case. This is most definitely a hardware issue and/or design flaw of the MacBook Pro and will occur no matter what OS or firmware version you use.

11. Funky Bibimbap macrumors newbie

By the way, now its working again.
    I'm still taking it to the apple store tomorrow.

Maybe I will show them the thread you linked to, AmpCoder. Although they should already know about this, shouldn't they?

12. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

When I took it to my local Apple Store, they assumed it was just a bad keyboard/trackpad/topcase and logic board and were planning on replacing all of those parts. However, the "Mac Genius" never did look at the board underneath the battery where the issue actually is, so I am not sure if they know where to look or not for this specific issue.

13. Funky Bibimbap macrumors newbie

I got my MBP back from repair today, they replaced the topcase and logic board again. I'll see how it works out this time.

It's not really related to the topic, but I found all the employees I had to deal with quite friendly, but the experience suffered from what seems to be a company policy not to take its customers seriously and limiting, in a control freakish way, how their employees are allowed to help them.