MBP keyboards

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peter.Howard, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

I had a look today at various models of the MBP, I must say I like everything about them except the keyboard, to touch type on it, it feels very cheap, very "lack of response"
    I am a fast touch typist, and I am used to bashing out 60+ wpm, however I found on all the models I tired, 13,15 and 17 the keyboard is all much of a much.
    I found typing fast that characters don't appear on the screen.

I assume somewhere in the options there are settings to change the keyboard sensitivity?

That's really the only thing putting me off buying one, well apart from also deciding what screen size to get. Portability v's Screen Size.

I wish Apple offered an i7 version of the 13" MBP, that would make the choice easy.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't change the sensitivity: you either hit the key hard enough for the switch to be triggered or you don't. The keys are on/off. They are not pressure sensitive with multiple levels that can be adjusted.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

An i7 in a 13" MBP would have a meltdown.

If the keyboard is that important use an external keyboard.

4. dusk007, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Or get a Lenovo Thinkpad they are still the masters of keyboards although I think the messed around a little with one of the slim T Series keyboard. Should be back to normal again I guess.
    A key on every keyboard is triggered once the key is pushed deep enough. If that is not enough for you maybe you want less lift or however you call it. You cannot really change that. Press them deeper.

BTW how much to you get here
    It is odd typing something that doesn't make any sense but still it is fun.

5. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

This is an interesting thread. I have been one who loves Apple's keyboards, and still am.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

+1 on the Lenovo keyboards. They really are tops in the industry I think. Too bad they marry those keyboards to giant black bricks of sub-par everything else. Including some of the worst screens I've ever used on a laptop.

I don't really have any issues with the keyboards on the MBP or MBA line. I do like the unibody keyboards better than the prior generation 'silver' keyboards. Those tended to feel very squishy to me whereas the newer ones feel more tactile and responsive.

I do use an external keyboard when sitting at my desk with my MBP for extended periods of time. I typically have it hooked up to an external monitor and put the keyboard between the MBP on one side and the monitor on the other. It makes for a great compromise. My current keyboard is a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard and it works pretty well. The little Apple BT keyboard is also a nice, small choice...although I think the typing experience on THAT is even stiffer than with the stock MBP keys.