MBP Latch stuck open...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coledog, Dec 30, 2007.

1. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

My SR MBP has a stuck latch...I've read a few threads on this with no real definitive answers.

I've seen taking out the battery and loosening the screws in the front.
    Also taking to a Apple store...kinda hard for me cuz the nearest one is 3 hours away...
    I don't think Apple phone techs are there on Sundays...

Any other ideas with out taking apart the entire machine? I haven't tried the screws but I plan on it today...

Thanks!

(pics of the problem attached...)

Attached Files:

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Nice crotch :p Anyway sorry to see that happen to your MBP. Did you drop it or something? If you want to disassemble your MBP, there is a very comprehensive guide on www.ifixit.com I'm not sure whether the process will void your warranty or not. It may be worth it to travel 3 hours to your nearest AppleStore (make an appointment beforehand) or you could try calling them for pick-up.

Good luck & Happy New Year :)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Try it with moving a magnet near your lcd latch. Perhaps you neutralized the magnets near the trackpad.

Not really sure how the battery has anything to do with it. Did you drop the screw into the latch?

Apple Store Genius Bar are open every day of the week.
    You need to make appointment first at: http://apple.com/retail

4. coledog thread starter macrumors 6502a

coledog

I knew that the first post was going to talk about my crotch....

A guy posted that he fixed his by taking out the battery and messing with the 2 screws inside the battery compartment that hold the front facing on.

5. BadgerMac macrumors regular

I actually just picked up my SR 17" from the local store after having this exact problem. THey ended up replacing the latches and adjusting the button. It works like a charm now.

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Wow, out of the box problem. Is Apple's QC going down hill?

7. BadgerMac macrumors regular

Wasn't out of the box with me. Had the machine about a month before I noticed a problem. Either way it's fixed and works fine now.

Caveat - this 17" SR MBP I have now is a replacement machine from Apple for a problematic first-gen 17" CD MBP.

8. MarshallM macrumors member

Happened to me after 2 months on my 15" MBP. Guess what, Apple recommended me to a local firm who said it wasn't covered under warranty and they wanted £200 ($400) to replace the whole bottom piece of my laptop! Odd I know, but Apple paid for it in the end.