mbp late 08 superdrive not burning dvds well

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hero887, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Hero887 macrumors member

I just noticed that my dvd drive is not burning dvds well anymore.
    It fails to burn when I select the best speed and only works at 2x. DVD+R DL Verbatim fail to burn completely.
    errors include

sense key medium error (fails at write in)

The disc can't be burned because communication between the computer and the disc drive failed (error code 0x80020022)

The disc can't be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media

Now I have tried spraying compressed air and using a dvd lens cleaner with no luck.

I am going to take it to the genius bar tomorrow afternoon but before I do I need to figure out how I can show this to the genius?

I have since uninstalled toast titanium because my copy isn't a legal one (lol) and the onboard mac os x burner doesn't display the burn speed whist burning, so I can't prove its doing it slow at 2x rather than 8x.

I can only prove that DVD+R DLs don't work

help? thanks

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd recommend running an extended test via the Apple Hardware Test, just to see if it reports any problems with the optical drive before taking it into the Genius Bar.

For more information on how to run the Apple Hardware Test on your specific MacBook Pro, please see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509.

Outside of that, is the same error message reported via the Finder when you try to burn a disc? If so, then it's easy to reproduce, simply take the computer to the Genius Bar, explain the issue, and try burning a disc (the same ones that you are using) in front of them - if it fails, then you'd most likely be looking at having the SuperDrive replaced.

Best of luck, and have a great day. :)

3. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your helpful and quick reply.

I just ran the hardware test and no errors were found.

Yes the error messages occur when i use the os x built in burner as well except it doesn't show the current burning speed when burning, i assume it just automatically selects a lower speed to burn with.

But I suppose those error messages I am getting with the dvd DLs should be enough for them to think about replacing the superdrive.
    thanks

4. iBrody macrumors 6502

5. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I got that program Burn as well, it works fine but didn't burn DVD DLs and it didn't tell me what speed it burnt at. But the guy at the Apple store checked the log on the console.

I just got my mbp back from the Apply store and they had also replaced my trackpad for some reason (he didn't say) but my trackpad feels more responsive now.

BUT something is definitely wrong with speakers now. I just put itunes on and the sound is really TINNY like the music is being played from inside a box. I think they have accidentally broken the external speakers. :( i can't be bothered going back on the train for 40 minutes to that store but I will have to do it again now.
    The guy told me to turn the computer on to check it was alright before I left, but I never thought to play a song to check the speakers duhh

any ideas on whats going on?

6. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's in for repair again. That's 4 hours of travelling to and from the store in one day.

7. Hero887 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Got my machine back today!
    They replaced:
    Logic board
    Both speaker
    Top case and keyboard backlit
    Level 2 repair
    £499
    And £95 for the first repair
    Nearly £600
    All this just because the speakers and backlit keyboard stopped working after the initial repair of just the optical drive and trackpad.

I asked the Apple person why all this happened and he said (he guessed) the disc burning fault originated from the logic board so things started to stop working after the optical drive got repaired.

Luckily my machine is still under it's 3 year warranty.