MBP Late 2006 - Time to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MVMNT, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MVMNT macrumors member

Or is there still life in the old Core 2 Duo dog yet?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Umm I'd say yes? But if you're on a 10 year old machine and haven't managed to upgrade before now, what are you using it for?

If it's a paper weight then I suggest not upgrading, new MBP is likely to be significantly lighter than previous models and so would not be sufficient for your needs.

3. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I say time to upgrade! I also have an '06 MBP that I'll be upgrading this year. It still works great (even with the latest versions of Microsoft Office and Photoshop) but is definitely beginning to show its age with the most recent OS update. It's a huge testament to Apple's quality that my computer has lasted this long with no problems.

4. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I say update! I'm using a 2008 Sony VAIO Z myself, and will sadly have to upgrade as it can no longer get Windows Updates, can't run the latest version of iTunes (which I need to sync with my iOS 10 iPhone), and gives me a message that my OS is not supported every time I open Google Chrome. Good to hear such old Apple machines are still working today though!

5. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Is there life in it? If so, I say keep it backed up and run it 'til it dies, upgrading internals if necessary.

6. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

You tell us. You're the one using it. I'd say that yes, it's time for an upgrade. Technology, especially laptop computers, has come a long way in the last decade. Kudos to you for keeping it for so long, but I think once you get a new machine you'll wonder how you ever got by with your original MBP (after 2008). Just my .02.