MBP (Late 2008) Battery Cover Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacDrummer, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MacDrummer macrumors newbie

I just got my New MBP. I love it.

Sure the screen reflects, but it gets super bright... so Im not worried.

I have just noticed the battery case cover is not flush with the rest of the computer. There is a lip/ridge that sticks out (on the hard drive side). The other side (battery side) is flush with the rest of the computer.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I tried unlatching it again and again to see if there is a sweet spot where it becomes flush with the rest of the surface.. but I have had no luck.

Any Ideas on how I can solve this? The closest apple store/genius is 1.5 hours away.

Thanks!

2. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Mind posting a photo? I'm not entire sure if I understand what you're talking about...

3. djon41 macrumors regular

there was some talk of this earlier in the macbook specific subforum...i was wondering if it had been seen on the pros.

4. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

The Flush Side (Battery Side):
    [​IMG]

The Non-Flush Side (Hard Drive Side):
    [​IMG]

5. Chef On The Go macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my 15" macbook pro, I evening more angry because I did a BTO with the 2.8GHz and 128 Solid State Drive.. It cost me over $3,000...

I'm going to the Apple store in San Fran on stockten St tomorrow

6. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

So, you sure you're closing it correctly? Just when I was at the Apple store, took me a few tries before I got it to close correctly again and during the first few tries I ended up with something exactly like in those photos... so I don't think its a defect - I mean unless the cover is somehow bent in which case go to an Apple Store to get a replacement... Maybe hold down that corner when closing that thing that pops up when you take off the cover?

7. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

This is how it came. I've tried a number of different ways of closing it (including pushing down on it while closing the latch) but nothing works. The closest apple store is pretty far away. Do i need to go before the 14 day return date?

Will they replace the cover, or replace the entire computer?

Thanks!

8. akashhhhh macrumors member

I'd definitely get it taken care of. Personally. when I reattach my cover, I simply slide in the bottom portion and let the top rest on the latch, then when i flip the latch, it slides in on its own. Maybe that'll help?

9. agbot macrumors regular

It's just a serious pain in the ass to properly snap in perfectly flush. The first time I removed the cover it took a few times to get the hang of putting it back in place. When it isn't completely snapped in at each locking point it looks exactly like your photo. If you give it some light (light!) pressure where it's raised does it snap down flush? That worked for me. If not, keep trying to refit/relatch it... it should eventually work. Kind of un-Apple usability in this design!

10. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

The latch process works just fine. I think the plate cover is either bent, or possibly too narrow at that point.

11. Chef On The Go macrumors newbie

Theirs only one way to close the cover, I'm on the phone with apple right now... Even if I go to the genius bar they can't exchange it because I have a BTO ... I never buy a BTO again I do my own upgraded

12. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I just got my $1999 MBP but mine doesn't have that problem. Although I have had some other problems. :( But I was expecting problems because they just came out. I am getting more and more disappointed with apple. I know that nothing can ever be perfect, but when you pay 2000 or more dollars, you expect it to be pretty close to perfect.

13. MacDrummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to follow up...

I went back to the apple store tonight (3 hour round trip!). They looked at it and said that it was a defect and gave me a new exchange... without any hassle.

One quick question though...
    I don't remember this on the other MBP... maybe I just wasn't paying attention. But is the optical drive suppose to make noises at start up. It does some stuff for about 3 seconds then quiets down. Same thing when I insert a CD.

Is this normal?

Thanks!