MBP Late 2008 sleep - How to reset SMC? Clamshell Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmoran27, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I noticed lately that my MBP would not sleep by itself. Also having issues with clamshell mode when connected to apple cinema display.

When I open the lid, the laptop display would not come on and it fails to auto sleep. Monitor is off, sleep LED is solid.

I tried the SMC reset thing. How do you know if that works?

Apple says to follow the MBAir SMC reset command for the new MBP? Control+Alt+Shift+Power once?

It does not beep or does not appear to do anything. Even after reinstalling the OS, my bluetooth keyboard and mouse are still paired (I thought SMC reset wipes those settings)?

I also had this weird problem - I think I corrupted something on the disk. Disk utility could not delete the Mac OS partition to install the new OS. I just booted from a windows CD to delete all partitions. Then OSX installed fine. I must have corrupted the EFI partition or something which does not show up in disk utility.

Anyway long post but please reply if you know solutions to this. I had to reinstall the OS to get it to sleep but am still confused about the SMC reset thing and the clamshell issue with the external display.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Running Disk Utility in OS X will not be able to delete the OS partition - you need to boot up with your Leopard Disc and use Disk Utility that way.

I wasn't aware that the new Unibody MBP's used the MacBook Air's reset SMC sequence - because the fact that the battery is removable. I'm probably wrong though. But if you want to try it the old way - just remove the battery (and power adapter) and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Also - another thing to try is to hold the power button until the LED on the front blinks quickly.

Finally, try resetting PRAM.

Re your sleep issue - what do you mean it won't sleep by itself? When you close the lid it stays awake? Or have you scheduled it to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity etc?

3. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

It did not auto sleep.

I wonder if eyetv caused this issue? Because it needs to stay on to record or it should be smart enough to wake the notebook to record shows?

Any ways I did boot off install disk. It would fail install and would not work. I tried deleting partitions and it constantly failed. I just booted with win 7 beta cd and deleted all partitions.

Then the install worked.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

EyeTV has been known to cause sleep issues.

What version are you running?

5. mmoran27 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was running 3.04 which is the latest build.