MBP Late 2011 Charger not enough power.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivoruest, May 27, 2012.

1. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Hello to everyone,

I'm quite worried that my MBP Core i7 has not sufficient power from the charger and starts draining the battery. The charger is 85W, but after some googling I found that this Mac can consume more than 90W so not only does it stops charging but it starts using the battery power to feed the thirsty machine.

Have you found any solutions to this?

FYI: I discovered this while playing Portal 2 (which is not a highly demanding game) in High Settings and running Windows 7 x64 in Bootcamp.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15 Late 2011
    Core i7 2.4Ghz 4 core 8 thread 6Mb L3 Cache
    8Gb 1600Mhz Ram
    Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb
    AMD HD Radeon 6770m 1Gb with the 12.4 Catalyst
    Windows 7 Pro x64

Any comments on the specs?

2. Kyllle macrumors 6502

It's normal for MacBooks to use power faster than the charger can supply during periods of intense usage. During these times, the battery should only drain slightly, so unless you are using it like this all the time, you should be ok.

3. ivoruest thread starter macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Ok, thanks for the reply. Do you know if there are higher power chargers compatible with this MBP? Will it do any damage to the battery?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The maximum power supplied by the Magsafes is 85W. No, using the Magsafe adapter obviously does not harm the battery.

5. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be worried,playing Diablo 3 for 3 hours only drains my battery 7 percent and it takes like 14 min to recharge once i stop.