Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revpa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Hi...

I just got one off a lottery by local cable provider... This is my first MacBook and it came off pretty std... No OS installer cd.

Anyway, when I turn on for the first time it looks like they have register a user... And I do not know the password...

I tried to reset it by doing this...

Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding**** down the Command and S keys at the same time until your see**** a black screen with white text. This is known as Single User mode.
You can skip this step, but it’s recommended that you**** don’t because it will check the consistency of your hard drive. At the**** prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter.
Once the disk check is complete and the prompt returns,**** type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Type launchctl load**** /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist and press**** Enter.
Type ls /Users and press Enter. All of the**** usernames on the computer will be listed, which is helpful if you don’t**** know or remember what these are.
Type dscl . passwd /Users/username password**** while replacing username with one of the users displayed in**** the previous step and replacing password with the new password**** of your choice. Press Enter. You will likely get an error message about a**** file or directory not being found – it’s safe to ignore this.
Type reboot and press Enter

But when I enter
launchctl load**** /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist

I got an error, it says "Socket is not connected"

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.