MBP late 2011 Video problems and others

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applemom65, Jun 18, 2014.

1. applemom65, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

applemom65 macrumors newbie

Im trying to figure out what this is.
    I had a weird graphics show up on my computer on May 8th, then I had problem after hard drive shut down because of what we thought was someone manipulating the screen.

the an error while in Graphics program similar to photoshop called PIXELMATOR- I was not able to save an image - the error I received said"
    "the start up disk did not have enough space "and "I needed to move stuff to give enough space for this image to be saved as .psd file." I could not get out of the program because of the error.
    I had to leave so I closed the computer around 630 and went to my husbands concert. I was going to work on this project when I got home. figure it out.
    I took snap shot of amount of space used on hard drive.
    Kind Volume
    created Friday, Nov 18, 2011 4:13 am
    Modified Tuesday June 3 2014 10:52am
    version 10.8.5
    Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    capacity 499.25
    Available 179.81
    used 319.44 GB

around 8pm my son noticed that the computer was closed (as I left it) and making beeping sounds
    (note: this sound has never returned.)

I called home at about 930 after concert- my son told me about the computer and beeping sound.

My son said that when he opened the computer and tried to wake up computer- it was not responding to him touching the touch pad or the keyboard.
    the light on front of computer was flashing to the sound of the beeps.
    I got home
    I tried to get computer to respond. It did not respond so I did hard shut down
    I turned computer on. It took significantly long time to load up the apple came on and the little circle went on then everything went grey. . The whole screen went to horizontal lines with the background having similar to what what the one window looked like yesterday.
    I took photo of this then I shut the computer down.
    I

then a thick vertical line on the screen came across the screen I shut down the computer
    I turned it on again because I needed to do a back up and I was praying that it would respond to me
    when it did turn on - it took over 2:30 minutes to load to the blue screen I took a video of it loading because I wanted to be able to share it with someone who could help me.
    I did call apple and I was told that it could be the memory. However according to the article i mentioned above:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...s-report-critical-gpu-failures-system-crashes
    , resetting ram memory does not clear it up,
    I tried to do the AHT and it just goes to grey screen it does not enter the test

I did a regular shut down in hopes of being able to do a AHT by pressing D just before grey screen comes up. I loaded to grey and hung never went to the computer looking icon
    I then did hard shut down and it loads up with LOTS of graphic errors. It said computer has done something related to a problem. and it will It finally goes to the blue back ground and brings up the main page.

very similar to the description and photo in this article.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...s-report-critical-gpu-failures-system-crashes

So basically I need to know based on the images I have included and the information. do you think this is the damage of the mpb graphics card as I suspect.
    I have had the battery replaced twice on april 16 2014 and prior was on/abt jun 24 2013, the wireless replaced 1x, the camera replaced 1x, the power adapter 1 times and the Power adapter and the power cord 1 x,- May 26 2014
    not to mention having the computer sent to be tested and I didn't have it for 6 days.
    I am really tired of all of these problems.
    could the battery problems have caused or graphics caused battery problem- because battery was just recently replaced at the local genius bar -
    I have always had wonderful service with genius bar and customer associate who answers the phone except for this last on I spoke with who said the problem is probably my memory-

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the beeps I heard that never have repeated.

errors happen in pixelmator, safari, mail, Helam game
    mbp ox 10.8.5 2.2x quad core I 7 16 gb 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

Attached Files:

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate hit your MBP.

Solution: None available. Logic board replacements from Apple won't work because every single Sandy Bridge board have the same manufacturing flaw in the Radeon card.

3. applemom65, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

applemom65 thread starter macrumors newbie

if no solution then what…. new MBP- should I ask.

if there is none available what are they going to do ?? give me a NEW MBP

Applemom65

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

They won't do anything other than screw the customer over.

Some lucky blokes have gotten free replacement MBPs, but only after 3-4 logic board replacements.

5. applemom65 thread starter macrumors newbie

AHT testing shows no errors but thick vertical line

[/QUOTE]
    See full note above in first post.
    mbp ox 10.8.5 2.2x quad core I 7 16 gb 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM[/QUOTE]
    i was finally able to go into the AHT and I ran short test and the long test …
    it came back with no errors!!!

But when I did the restart …. I took another video… It took over 2 min to load up an it had the thick vertical line about 3/4 the way from the left side the vertical line is about 1 1/2 in thick.
    an the screen came up that said I shut down the computer because of an error. this time when I shut it down before the testing… there was NO error. it was regular shut down.
    This is weird.
    apple mom

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Not weird. Your GPU is failing and the only options are to either get its logic board replaced (though it will likely fail again after a variable length of time; this is not worth it unless you have AppleCare), pay a company to re-ball/re-solder the GPU (this generally has the highest rate of success as a long-term fix and costs anywhere from $180-250), or sell the machine for parts and buy something else.