MBP late 2011 when to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Riffraffer, May 15, 2012.

  1. Riffraffer macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2012
    Hi! I haven't used this site since i purchased my macbook 5 or 6 years ago but I forgot how great it was. Anyways, its time for a new laptop and I'm leaning towards the late oct 2011 15" macbook pro. This will be used mainly for music recording using logic pro and playing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I'm opting for 4GB Ram, AMD 6750M 512mb(though maybe i should go with the 6770M) . Right now I can purchase it new for $1800 or refurbished for $1,529. I think I'm going to go refurbished but I'm curious when is the best time to buy this. When the new MBPs are released what will happen to the older ones? Will they drop the price and sell them along with the new MBPs? Will the refurbished prices drop as well?

    Additionally, if the late 2011 macbook pro won't meet my gaming needs let me know. I'm choosing this one over the new and better macbook pro because i need an optical drive and firewire port for recording music. Thanks in advance! You guys are a great community!
  2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

    Mar 18, 2010
  3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030


    Jun 10, 2010
    I agree....if you don't need something right now, wait til WWDC. If conventional wisdom is right and the new models are announced next month, then the price on the 2011 models (refurbs and all) will see a pretty good drop.
  4. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    I'd wait. But if you always wait for the newest thing, you won't buy anything =3
  5. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

    Aug 12, 2008
    Coming from someone that didn't wait, lol.

    To the OP, as the others suggested, wait until after WWDC.
  6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a


    Mar 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Just wait for less than a month. If your set on the current MacBooks Pros, you'd save a few hundred by that time. And you have the option of getting the newer ones by that time which maybe a 100 or 200 more.
  7. Riffraffer thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 15, 2012
    Thanks guys! I definately won't be buying till late June/early July which means the new MBP should be out by then. I was more curious as to how long after the release of the new MBP should I wait to purchase the late 2011 MPB. I'd prefer to buy it asap but if the price drops $100 a month later i wouldn't mind waiting.

    Does apple usually just make a single price drop and keep it fixed or does it make incremental price drops over time?
  8. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    If you want one right now, consider a refurbished unit. It would save you some money.

Share This Page