MBP Late 2011 with two SATA III SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aboo, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Aboo, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get the late 2011 MBP working with 2 SATA 6gbs SSDs. I currently have a 256 Crucial M4 in the main HD/SSD slot and an additional OCZ vertex 3 240GB SSD in a OWC optibay. The OCZ drive in the optibay is recognized by OS X, but I am unable to format it through disk utility;' the process always seems to freeze on "waiting for disks to reappear".

I have read hints around the web that currently there may be a problem with SATA III ssds in the optibay, but wanted to see if there is a known work around. If not, its back to a spinning platter on the additional drive for me.

Thanks!

2. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

If your optical bay interface reports 6Gb/s support then it is very unlikely that your SATA III SSD will work at all in that bay.

I have an early 2011 model reporting 3Gb/s in the optical bay and a Vertex 3 works fine there but obviously only at 3Gb/s.

Let's hope the forthcoming 2012 revision supports dual 6Gb/s.

3. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the late 2011 model and I am quite sure its SATA III, meaning 6 gbps, so does that mean that a 6gbps drive live the Vertex 3 WILL NOT work in that optibay, even by downclocking to 3GBPs?

Will a SATA II SSD like the intel 320 series work appropriately?

Thanks!

4. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Open System Profiler and click on Serial-ATA. If the optical bay link speed is 6 Gigabit then SATA III drives simply won't work; they won't downclock to 3 Gigabits.

5. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help. I had come across a OWC blog article regarding this same issue and I am surprised Apple has yet to release a fix for this; seems tone firmware related. I had a Vertex 3 SSD laying around so I thought I would utilize it on this system, but its a no go. I replaced the Vertex with the stock HD and it seems to work fine. I am going to hunt for a cheap intel to put in there instead.

Thanks again for your help!

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Only the main bay supports 6Gbps.
    The opti-bay would only go to 3Gbps.

Lets all hope for 2012 model with dual 6Gbps

7. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

The optibay actually comes with a 6 Gigabit port on later 2011 models but is useless for SATA III drives. Seems to be a shielding issue so yes, let's hope it gets resolved this year.

Wouldn't hold your breath though. We bought an iMac last year and the DVD drive doesn't work; search on Apple communities and you'll see that thousands are affected...:mad:

8. samterm macrumors newbie

My reliable workaround for SATA III in the optical bay of Late 2011 17" MBP

It is working perfectly reliable for me. My workaround is clearly detailed at:

https://sites.google.com/site/themacbookproproject/home

Take care,
    Sam

9. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Redline read/write speeds!!! Wish I had your techie skills. I'd probably screw things up. I plan to put my Samsung 470 in the optibay and the new Samsung 830 in the main bay. Or maybe wait until the 512 GB version comes down in price and jump on that one. Very good write up BTW.