MBP led display dirty/shadows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astrosyt, Mar 19, 2008.

1. astrosyt macrumors member

hi,
    Can someone tell me are these shadows normal? its look like display is dirty all the way, when scrolling down a text on a white background.
    thanks
    ps. display doesnt have backlight bleeding on black background, model 9c67

Attached Files:

2. spellspoil macrumors newbie

This is my first post, but I've been reading this forum and others tracking this very problem.

It seems that A LOT of the led mac book pros have less than perfect screens, than their powerbook brothers.

I can say that most of the apple store display models aren't as perfect with back lighting as in previous models.

People will say to bring it back, but then some horror stories reveal not getting a perfect screen on way out. I only notice my uneven back light on solid black backgrounds, but for the most part I don't notice it while working. Good thing I use an external monitor most of the time anyways.

3. CINA macrumors newbie

CINA

9c67

This is also my first post too, I also have the 9c67 panel, I believe it's an LG. I too have some shadow like areas around the bottom of the screen.

I have been thinking long and hard whether or not to take it in and try to get a screen replacement via the "genius" bar.

So, I'm also wondering who has similar areas on their screens, this would probably help us both to decide whether to go down the path of a screen replacement...

Cheers

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

part of that uneveness, if that's how you want to call it, is the LED backlit LCD screen that we have right now, compared to the CCFL screen of the previous powerbook generation.

i for one have gone to a lot of exchanges.. searching for the holy grail ( perfect screen) but i gave up after almost a month of visits to the local apple store.

i'm happy with my 9c81 LG screen, as long as there a re no dead pixels, lazy pixels or other hardware problems like the fans etc. i'm keeping this

5. CINA macrumors newbie

CINA

Thanks for the info, I will probably upgrade my MBP in a years time anyway as I run some intensive 3D apps via. bootcamp.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

6. astrosyt thread starter macrumors member

its going to repair= new display. f****ng sh*t apple ! this is already 6 display change and second replacement mbp.
    this is mbp:s last repair trip, i display is with issue i will get my money back.
    ps. apple quality control suxxxxxxx

7. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

What?

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

you have the infamous bottom 1/3 yellow screen problem.

9. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Dude tell the apple person you talk to on the line or w/e setting up your repair, to leave a comment to tell the apple techs to actually check the new display for this problem so you dont have to keep sending it back because thats really mess up.

The apple guy i talked to told me they would check the new display for the problem if they change it, but he also told me about calibrating or doing something to the logic board that helps parts of the display see certain colors, so im hoping that works, and if it doesnt theyll replace the LCD and supposedly theyll check out that new LCD for me.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

That definitely warrants a replacement screen. As for asking them to check before they give you a new one - it's hopeless. These guys are not trained to evaluate a display, nor do they have the interest in doing so. I've tried that and they always say it's a good display, even when it sucks. There is no guaranteed way to get a good display as it's just luck. If you find one that is acceptable you should stick with it and not look for the perfect display because it does not exist today.

I think they difference between the MBP and PC laptops or the older Powerbooks is that these new ones are much much brighter and that seems to highlight the uneven illumination. In fact, if you measure the brightness at different points on any laptop, they almost all uneven and with quite a large gab between brightest and dimmest parts. they eye compensates for that and so it isn't really visible i most situations. Check out notebookcheck.com to see their objective measurements of the brightness and uneven illumination of different laptops - it's very telling and perhaps comforting to see that it's not just Apple's laptops that have these issues, even if it may seem so at first glance.

I'd gladly take a slightly dimmer display if it meant better quality, more even illumination etc - but I'm sure many would disagree with that preferences.

11. CINA macrumors newbie

CINA

astrosyt, let me get this straight... You`ve had 6 display changes and 2 replacement MBPs?

Wow, have all of the screens been like these pictures or exhibited some screen-related problems, or did you replace some of them for other defects?

12. astrosyt thread starter macrumors member

there has been also other issues, bad keyboard, hd and fans. Like i say i am very dissapointed with apple. =(. I never had so much problemms with other electrical equipment (not apple) like now i have with apple.s mbp. I have read that lots of you says that apple products are good and you will enjoy using them, but i must say all these is bu**sh*t. (maby apple products were good a lot time ago, but they sure arent now :()

13. ctishue macrumors member

Bleh just got home with my new 2.5 MBP and I have the same dirty yellow bottom screen issue. I really don't feel like going through a bunch of exchanges just to get a good screen... Maybe I'll just go back to the apple store and get a refund or move up to the 17".

14. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

There is no point in trying, everything is ****** and made in china without care anymore. I've had 4 screens, and one replacement, and this one has a jacked up screen as well. Went to my local apple repair place (no apple store around me). They said it looked fine, I had emailed SJ's address about it before hand, so they sent pictures to apple of the screen. Everyone said it was fine, but it's not. Nothing more apple will do about it. They even had the nerve to try and sell me a cinema display, saying they had better consistancy. The girl on the apple tech line said "these laptop screens are good for what they're made for".

Don't ever be attached to Apple as a company - be attached to the community around Apple products. Apple is just a company trying to turn a buck like every other electronics company.