MBP left-side vibrating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goodtimes5, Mar 15, 2008.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I have a 2.0GHz CD MPB, a little bit more than a year old, and when I place my hand on the side to the left of the trackpad, I can sometimes feel my hard drive spinning/vibrating. It's not that noticeable unless I'm feeling for it, but it does concern me. Is this normal and typical?

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If it has been vibrating the whole time I guess it would be normal your particular drive. Some drives vibrate more than others. If this condition is recent you might have a failing hard drive on your hands.

3. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

How can I check if my hard drive is about to fail, or will I only know when it's too late?

I know there are guides out there to replace the hard drive yourself, but I'm not brave enough for that. How much would it cost to get an Apple Store to do it (not under warranty anymore, and no Applecare)

4. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about it. All hard disks vibrate to some degree, but generally the less vibration the better for the lifespan of the drive.

You are doing regular backups anyway, since a lot can happen to a notebook PC above and beyond a disk vibrating, right?